Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Need help :(

nismosmama

Cavy Slave
So Dori was playin scratching the carpet, she got scared and ran away really fast. I think in the process she got her nail stuck and cut it. I saw her licking her paw A LOT. And I finally investigated and saw her nail was bleeding. She was holding her paw up and not wanting to put pressure on it. I just got Dori over a week ago, so its still really hard to handle her, I've been able to hold her for a couple of minutes, just long enough to see her bleeding nail on her left paw. And she finally got away from me. I don't k now what to do :sad: , how do I help her?? She keeps licking her paw, I don't know if it hurts or if she's just licking off the blood. I posted this question on the Rabbits Online website, but I'm just trying to figure out what to do at this point :confused:

Ligio

Cavy Slave
Take her to the vet to be sure in all cases.

bunnyluv17

Cavy Slave
Kwik-stop, cornstarch, and flour can all be used to stop a bleeding toenail. Just press a pinch of it up against the end of the bleeding toenail. It is a good idea to have some handy when clipping nails.

Did she just break the end off, or is the whole toenail damaged?

nismosmama

Cavy Slave
Thank you all for replies :). I got some advice from the Rabbits Online message boards, and they also all suggested taking a look at the nail and putting flour or cornstarch on it to stop the bleeding. I was finally able to get ahold of her long enough to do so. There is no loose nail or nothing hanging off her paw, so it looks like she may have just sliced it in the middle through the quik. She picked at it a little more, but the bleeding stopped and she was fine putting pressure on the paw, she didn't seem to really be bothered by it. This morning it was like nothing again, she was hopping around with no problems and no longer bleeding.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.