Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Dominance Need help with my guinea pig intensly chasing the other.

Guinea Pigzzzzz

Cavy Slave
I tried leaving another thread and not even one person replied!
Im trying this again now.
I just introduced a third guinea pig, introductions were all good and I followed the rules.
But the previous guinea pigs I had aren't getting along anymore in the cage, they will sometimes eat together or walk around each other, but sometimes the dominant guinea pig will chase the other in a very intense way.
My guinea pig seems scared when the other comes up to him and sometimes lets out a shreik.
Is this normal behavior?
They were fine before introducing the third to the group.
No blood has been drawn either, it seems like he's chasing him away and giving him a slight nip but Momo does not like it at all.
They are all in 2x9 grids, and I could easily split it if I have too.
PLEASE HELP THIS TIME, I CAN'T JUST KEEP WATCHING HIM DO THAT BECAUSE I FEEL SORRY FOR MY OTHER PIG! I Haven't even gone out since Wednesday so I can keep a very close eye on them!

i had a very similar situation to yours. i just posted the details in the new thread by cheeky piggy: general: is three really a crowd? it was VERY hard for me to see and hear newman being bullied and chased by george. newman screamed louder than any pig i've ever had, and then whimpered, which broke my heart. i had to do alot of self talk to let them work it out themselves, since there was never any bloodshed. i gave newman extra laptime, to give us all a break. there were a couple of nights where i had to put up a divider grid (i know it's not the best thing to do!) just so everyone could get some rest for the night. after about a week, they were fine. though every once in a while, george starts up again, and will chase and bully newman. they're in a 2X5 and i'm expanding this weekend to a 3X5, hoping that more room will lessen the occasional bickering. i think of it this way: they're not mortal enemies, they just don't like each other very much, but they put up with each other. they're safe and warm and well fed. that'll have to do for now i think.

i had a very similar situation to yours. i just posted the details in the new thread by cheeky piggy: general: is three really a crowd? it was VERY hard for me to see and hear newman being bullied and chased by george. newman screamed louder than any pig i've ever had, and then whimpered, which broke my heart. i had to do alot of self talk to let them work it out themselves, since there was never any bloodshed. i gave newman extra laptime, to give us all a break. there were a couple of nights where i had to put up a divider grid (i know it's not the best thing to do!) just so everyone could get some rest for the night. after about a week, they were fine. though every once in a while, george starts up again, and will chase and bully newman. they're in a 2X5 and i'm expanding this weekend to a 3X5, hoping that more room will lessen the occasional bickering. i think of it this way: they're not mortal enemies, they just don't like each other very much, but they put up with each other. they're safe and warm and well fed. that'll have to do for now i think.

Thank you VERY much (broken link removed)Jacqueline, you have no idea how much you have put my mind to ease.
With my pigs it only happens here and there, and I have been sleeping by there cage since Wednesday just incase.
I never hear any loud squealing and shrieking that will not allow me to sleep, it just those odd times when Jojo will chase Momo away.
Momo will let out a little shriek and run, if Jojo isn't chasing him, he will go into a hidey, if he is chasing him, then he will run till Jojo stops.
It never lasts more 4 - 7 seconds, and there is mild teeth chattering, but I read that is normal.
Found this website a few hours ago.

Boars! Simple Dominance Displays or Fighting? - The Guinea Pig Forum

So far I don't see any of those mild or serious warning signs whatsoever, so I guess that is a good thing.
I have lost much sleep since Wednesday worrying that something serious might happen.

Thank you, your reply really helped.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.