Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bonding Need help unsure on what to do

guineapigs2468

Cavy Slave
I introduced my new baby piggy today to my other group of piggies. They seemed fine, and the little one was trying to hide in my aby breeds fur. So I figured it would be ok to put them in the cage altogether. It seemed great at the start my little piggy was running around and popcorning loads, but after awhile it started to go downhill. They keep chasing her away from the food and water, and making her stay in corners of the cage. I think it is all of my piggies that chase her away from the food and water apart from one, my aby breed. My aby rose acts like it is her baby so I'm glad they get along. But what do you all think I should do, I could separate her but I feel bad about having to put her back in her small cage. Would they stop and let her eat soon? Rose my aby is my most dominant piggy but I think she likes the baby, I could separate both of them but I don't think it would be fair to again move them into that smaller cage. I am considering making a bigger cage to keep the two of them in, but would they be alright in the smaller cage for a little while? Sorry so many questions I am just worrying about the little baby piggy.

Well I don't know too much about new introductions but if your baby piggy and Rose are getting along then that's a good sign. I would say it should be okay to put them in the smaller cage for a short period of time so long as you get the new cage up and running fairly soon. Just make sure you give them plenty of lap time and floor time. They should be fine.

However if anyone else knows any more (i.e. whether they need to be separated or not) then I would listen to them as I'm not sure.

Good luck. :)

Oh sorry I don't think I mentioned in my post that I was introducing the baby piggy to 5 other piggies not just rose, but she does get along with that one piggy sorry again for not making it clear.

How many pigs total are in the cage? How many water bottles do you have in the cage? How many food dishes? How many hideys? How big is the cage? And how old is the baby?

There are 6 guinea pigs if you include the baby, there are only two water bottles and two food bowls as I was going to get more but my 5 seemed to share fine until now, it depends with hideys because I switch them for different ones each day so I could have two or three down at once with tunnels and toys around, the cage is wooden not a c&c but I think it is 6ft by 4ft and the baby is 6-7 weeks.

I'd put more water bottles in and more food bowls, and make sure every hidey has both an entrance and an exit. Weigh the baby daily, preferably before breakfast, to make sure she's getting enough to eat and is gaining weight. You may need to take her out a couple of times a day for some extra yummies until she's a little bigger and can fend for herself.

But unless she's being bitten or is losing weight, I'd leave her in the cage.

Ok thanks, it was mainly because each time I went to check on her in the cage with the other guinea pigs she was in a corner and it seemed like every time she went near the other guinea pigs would chase her away. She is really small and I am just worried about leaving her alone with 5 guinea pigs alot bigger than her.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.