Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bedding Need help please

Chikochikka

Cavy Slave
hey guys i am getting 4 guinea pigs soon and i bought some towels to put on the bottom of my C&C cage i am not going to use fleece on the bottom has it is really hard to get around where i live in SE Queensland so yeah but anyway should i put anything under the towels like newspapper or anything or just towels will do
please reply share thoughts thanks

The purpose of the fleece/towel combination is to keep the piggies dry and away from their urine. Polar fleece is made of a very hydrophobic synthetic polymer. As such, it wicks away moisture. That is, moisture that comes into contact with the fleece just goes right through it and into the absorbent towels. If you only use towels and/or other water-absorbent materials, then the ground that your piggies walk on will get wet with urine very quickly. You would probably have to change towels daily, especially with four piggies. Forgive me if you have already done this, but have you called fabric stores in your area to see if they have fleece? I'm not sure where you live, but here is a link to several fabric stores near Brisbane:
(broken link removed)

If all else fails, you could buy fleece blankets at some type of bedding store and cut them to size.

Putting them only on towels is a recipe for urine scald on their bottoms and problems with their feet. As TCTrun says, you need the fleece for wicking the urine through to the absorbent layer and keeping the pig dry.

You can order fleece online, or you can find fleece blankets in many stores. They're even sold in pharmacies here.

You'd be better off using some sort of shavings or other bedding instead of plain towels. And forget the newspaper altogether -- it will just mush up and stink to high heaven.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.