Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Need help introducing a new pig

Eformont

Cavy Slave
I have a problem I'm hoping someone out there has experience with - recently one of our 2 pigs passed away, they were sisters and have been together since birth. It's been 2 weeks, and we decided to get another pig. Our 2 year old is NOT happy with her new friend and is making the baby miserable! They are seperated now - but are still in contact thru the grids. Things seem fine until they are in the cage together, then the dominating, ugly behavior and biting starts. They baby is 4 weeks old and doesn't fight back at all. I thought they were supposed to be "social" animals and liked to live with others - what am I doing wrong here? Any advise will be taken to heart. Thanks!

That's odd. Did you treat them both for mites?

May I ask what the sow died of? I'm wondering if she is irritable b/c she may be ill.

How big is the cage? Do you have at least 2 of everything? Did you clean the cage, so it smells neutral? Did you try them on neutral territory with food to distract them?

Maybe try a buddy bath?

Any new pigs brought into the house should have been quarantined in a separate room for 3 weeks. If you are unsure of what your other pig died from, it might be a good idea to take your 2 year old sow to the Vet for a good checkup to make sure she isn't ill. If the one that passed away was ill, there is a very high chance that the other one is as well.

Where did you get the new baby from? It's also possible that your 2 year old sow is grieving for her sister and there needs to be a grief period before introducing the baby to her. Have you read this page: www.cavyspirit.com/sociallife.htm
It has lots of great advice for doing introductions. It's normal for the pigs to establish dominance as one pig will be dominant and one will be submissive.

rabbitsncavyluv said:
That's odd. Did you treat them both for mites?

May I ask what the sow died of? I'm wondering if she is irritable b/c she may be ill.

How big is the cage? Do you have at least 2 of everything? Did you clean the cage, so it smells neutral? Did you try them on neutral territory with food to distract them?

Maybe try a buddy bath?

I have not treated for mites - maybe I should look into that... The other piggie died from Pneumonia - and her sister never showed any signs, we've watched her closely. The cage is 2'x5' with an upstairs - and it was freshly cleaned before the introduction... Yes, there are 2 bottles, 3 hiding places, 2 hay bins, 2 rocks.... We did the main intro in the bathroom where we let them run free for exercise time - and they seemed fine, but then the older piggie, when in the cage started being aggressive - I seperated them. The baby is just so small I'm afraid she'll get hurt... I'm going to try giving them a bath today - that's a great idea. Thanks!

Ly&Pigs said:
Any new pigs brought into the house should have been quarantined in a separate room for 3 weeks. If you are unsure of what your other pig died from, it might be a good idea to take your 2 year old sow to the Vet for a good checkup to make sure she isn't ill. If the one that passed away was ill, there is a very high chance that the other one is as well.

Where did you get the new baby from? It's also possible that your 2 year old sow is grieving for her sister and there needs to be a grief period before introducing the baby to her. Have you read this page: www.cavyspirit.com/sociallife.htm
It has lots of great advice for doing introductions. It's normal for the pigs to establish dominance as one pig will be dominant and one will be submissive.

I purchased the new little pig from a local Petstore - she's 4 weeks old... The older pig has not displayed any signs of sickness, per vet... You mention quarintining - I never read anything about that before - guess that would make sense in case the new piggie is sick... And I was wondering about greiving - but I thought that maybe I was reading too much into it for rodents... That would probably be a different amount of time for each animal I'm assuming, like for people... Maybe I'm just pushing too much on her too fast. Thanks so much for the info!

Thank you for pointing out the social life link - I read it and found it very helpful - I'm gonna give it a go and hopefully they'll be getting along well in a month or so - thanks again!

Guinea pigs grieve. Some even die from loneliness because they were extremely close to their cage mate. Also piggies tend to hide illnesses very well and sometimes you won't know they are sick until it's really too late to do anything. I suggest taking both your pigs to the vet's for a thorough checkup. The baby needs one because you purchased her from a petstore and most times petstore pigs are sick or have mites because of the conditions they are kept in both before they arrive at the store and while they are in the store. Next time please adopt a piggie from a shelter or rescue.

Also buddy bath's should be saved for an absolute last resort.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.