Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Veg*n Need help being a vegetarian....

horsenkat

Cavy Slave
I need help being a vegetarian! This will be my third attempt....
I absolutely LOVE meat. Chicken legs, ravioli, wraps.... ect. I know that I can buy ravioli with no meat, but....
any tips? I'm trying to go cold turkey...

So my favorite veg cookbook is the Veganomicon. However, I work full time and take classes half time, so I don't have tons of time to cook and that book seems it's for people who cooking is their hobby and don't mind spending hours in the kitchen. The cookbook I've found myself using the most is Quick-Fix Vegetarian. It has delicious wraps, sandwiches, and all kinds of other things, and they're usually super easy and quick to make.

Hey,
I know the boat you are in. I still crave me and I have been vegetarian for over 6 months. My MIL says it will pass. This is what I do (bad vegetarian I know), once a month I allow myself one meat meal. Then I feel sick afterwards and I am good for another month. But if I am really craving it I will give in because I do feel like that is my body telling me I am missing something. Then I revamp my diet to try to fill what every void the lack of meat is leaving. Read the China study. It is what turned me around. I don't really do it for animal rights (although all of the meat packing facilities piss me off), it is more for health reasons. I eat ALOT of pasta and soup. I make homemade marinara sauce in bulk and freeze it. Raw vegetables are awesome for sandwiches and quick salads. Potatoes and squash are great meat substitutes for meals. I am the only person in my household that is veg, my husband and kids are not. So I cook meals for them, I eat the sides and usually a squash or sweet potato to fill me up. PM me if you want some recipes.

I am not a vegetarian, but I've cut WAY back on meat and animal products (eggs, cheese, etc) for health reasons. I have lately been enjoying very simple italian type food. I'll have a big salad and pasta with nothing but marinara sauce and some veggies....MMMMM I wish I could make some homemade sauce like CrazyMom!

Try making typical chicken dishes, but putting tofu in it! Also try boca burgers. They seriously taste just like burgers, especially with cheese on top!

Have you ever tried the Morning Star fake meat brand? It isn't vegan (sorry vegans), but it tastes almost exactly like meat. And this website has great vegetarian recipes: Vegetarian Recipes - Allrecipes.com

Try making typical chicken dishes, but putting tofu in it! Also try boca burgers. They seriously taste just like burgers, especially with cheese on top!
I love the boca burgers and their chicken patties are really tasty! I tried vegan hotdogs, not only were the disgusting but I had an allergic reaction to them:sick:! I have always had low iron but after reading up on the best ways to absorb it from veggies, I'm not craving liver at all. Veggies contain Nonheme iron which is harder for the body to absorb.
I decided to be come a vegetarian because I was so disgusted at the thought of people eating piggies and yet I was eating a cow that some hold sacred. I am trying to be a healthy vegetarian and avoid the junk food and white breads/pasta. Thankfully while I was heating up a can of veggie soup I was reading the ingredients and guess what the very first thing listed was? Beef broth!!! It's made me double check all packaged foods. I know it didn't say vegetarian soup but come on, why use beef broth?

I love the boca burgers and their chicken patties are really tasty! I tried vegan hotdogs, not only were the disgusting but I had an allergic reaction to them:sick:! I have always had low iron but after reading up on the best ways to absorb it from veggies, I'm not craving liver at all. Veggies contain Nonheme iron which is harder for the body to absorb.
I decided to be come a vegetarian because I was so disgusted at the thought of people eating piggies and yet I was eating a cow that some hold sacred. I am trying to be a healthy vegetarian and avoid the junk food and white breads/pasta. Thankfully while I was heating up a can of veggie soup I was reading the ingredients and guess what the very first thing listed was? Beef broth!!! It's made me double check all packaged foods. I know it didn't say vegetarian soup but come on, why use beef broth?

Yep! I hate finding out they use beef or chicken broth. Ugh that stinks about the hotdogs! I have a problem with pasta too, but being on weight watchers helps me track that!

Spices and cornstarch! Whenever I make a tofu-based "meat-like" meal, I always coat the tofu in cornstarch. Makes for a nice crisp outer layer, an attractive golden-brown "skin," and the tofu sort of melts inside. I'll do a firm tofu, cut the pound block into strips or cubes, roll in cornstarch, fry it on medium-high in olive oil. As it gets to the last little bit of cooking, I put in some sesame oil (tiny bit, relative to the olive oil). Takes about 15-20 minutes from the time I open the package to it getting on the table. Cook up some rice or quinoa in your rice cooker while this is going, and it's a decent quick meal (and with the quinoa you're getting some good whole protein).

I also make a meatless (not vegan though) "chicken" parmesan, which is also lower in calories -- do a quarter to eigth block of firm or extra firm tofu, roll in bread crumbs and put one side in ground parm cheese. Put some olive oil and chopped garlic and basil and ground oregano in a bowl, stir it up, throw in some cherry tomatoes, toss it. Put the tofu in a baking tray, put the cherry tomatoes all over it and bake at 350 degrees for about 10-15 minutes, put some mozzarella on top at last minute if you want. I've been known to throw some chopped kalamata olives in there. About 25-30 minutes start to finish.

And the Morningstar Farms "meat" crumbles are terrific with canned chopped tomatoes and some chopped onions, dash of salt, maybe some cumin and corriander.

Veg soup always meant having a meat or chicken-stock base when I was growing up; it just meant that it didn't have chunks of it. You don't even want to know what the chicken soup looked like when it was cooking (let's just say in the old world, every last part was in there).

My husband and I were both vegetarian, as was my daughter, for a long time. I frankly got too stressed and lazy with a bunch of health issues for my family and I, and other stuff, and then other special dietary needs in the family started driving me slightly up a tree (gcf for one, gluten-free another, vegetarian another, casein free for another, etc.). We're going back that direction, ever since we got Jumble and the other piggies. We had a bit of a thunderclap in our minds when we thought about what we had eaten in Peru and what we were now trying to protect. It's a thought that gives me great pain, despite it being just the food you eat there.

You probably already know this so sorry for repeat if you do. One of my favorite things is Portobello Mushrooms and whats so great about them when they are grilled they taste just like steak to me. The also make delicious burgers! I'm also trying to make the transition and these babies seem to help that meat craving. Also Mushroom ravioli makes an amazingly delicious meal. When I was in culinary arts I made homemade raviolis with mushrooms tasted just like the beef ones. I wish you the best of luck, Third time's the charm!

I also recommend Boca and Morning Star brands. Earlier today I had a Morning Star corndog, delicious. Yves brand lunch meats (fake meat) is also great, because you can have bologna, salami, turkey, etc. for great sandwiches! Check at your local co-op or Trader Joe's-like store. All kinds of delicious fake meat! So next time you crave meat, have some. ;)

I just started reading "The Kind Diet" by Alicia Silverstone. It's making me want to become a vegan instead of just a vegitarian.

Hi. At my local health food store in the bulk herb section they have a powdered chicken "broth" that is vegetarian and its organic so check your local health food store. I also make a "meat" loaf with black beans, onions, meatless crumbles, walnuts, bread crumbs, a binding agent like apple sauce, and spices like garlic, parsley, a little bit of ketchup, and some times some red pepper flakes. It kinda has a similar feel as meat loaf and takes care of any craving I have (yup even @ 14 + years as a veg I still get meat cravings). I also find mixing beans and nuts helps control my meat cravings. GL! Stay strong :)

Not sure if you still need help with this, but I thought I'd put in my two cents anyway... I've been vegan for two years and vegetarian for two years before that.
The first thing you have to do, is figure out WHY you want to become vegetarian. You won't get anywhere without motivation. If you feel it's the right thing but you're not sure why, do some research. There are many, many reasons to do it - your own health, animals' well-being, the environment, and more.
Second, take it step by step. I didn't become vegan overnight. My first veg stint only lasted two weeks. If it's too much to stop eating all meat at once, just drop red meat first. Then chicken, then fish, or however works best for you.
Hope thst helps :)

Thanks!
Small update: I became vegetarian! Well, I still eat fish, but.... ya. Thanks, your suggestions helped a lot! :)

Congrats! I did no meat but fish thing for a while. It worked for me at the time. You have to be happy with you and what goes into your body :). If u need any advice or want to talk recipes feel free to pm me.

do not give in. That is the only advice I can give you. When you give in a cave, and allow yourself just one chicken nugget for example, it only reinforces the craving. You are probably craving things because your body is telling you that you need the nutrients, so eat something (that isn't meat) that will give you those nutrients! Honestly, the cravings will go away. It takes time, but after a while meat becomes repulsive. It took me a good month or two to finally stop wanting hot dogs.

If you LOVE meat how do you want to be a vegetarian? Why did you do this? You love animals? So why do you eat them?

If you LOVE meat how do you want to be a vegetarian? Why did you do this? You love animals? So why do you eat them?

Well, I used to like meat too. But that's because I ate it for 12 years, obviously I was used to it. After discovering how awful it is, and how it's made etc. I wanted to stop eating it. So I stopped. You can like the taste of meat and still be a vegetarian.

do not give in. That is the only advice I can give you. When you give in a cave, and allow yourself just one chicken nugget for example, it only reinforces the craving. You are probably craving things because your body is telling you that you need the nutrients, so eat something (that isn't meat) that will give you those nutrients! Honestly, the cravings will go away. It takes time, but after a while meat becomes repulsive. It took me a good month or two to finally stop wanting hot dogs.
For me the meat cravings still come and go and I have been veg for a long time. I have never given in in all these years and I still get them, so for some of us they never go away. I also get plenty of B-vitamins, protein, and fatty acids; but every now and then I smell something (like my Dad's beef teriyaki) and I'm like OMG I want some, or I will get a craving for meat loaf or something like that.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.