Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Pregnancy Need help asap, oregnant Guinea pig bleeding!

Guineapigs.

Cavy Slave
My pregnant rescue pig is due today, things haven't been going so well. She is 2 years old. I went in to check on her this morning and she wasn't moving and was surrounded in her own blood.
She has lost about 3 table spoons of blood and it has all come from her genitals. She is also not eating and has no energy. Her underside is covered in blood. I don't know if this is normal but the vets near me are closed so it will take me hours to drive to one from here.
Does anyone know what is happening and if she is going into labour or something?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
She needs a vet, ASAP. She likely has a pup that's too large to be delivered, and she and any pups will die if it isn't removed.

This is nothing you can treat at home.

Guineapigs.

Cavy Slave
She needs a vet, ASAP. She likely has a pup that's too large to be delivered, and she and any pups will die if it isn't removed.

This is nothing you can treat at home.
I found out that she has gotten pregnant at 2 years old will this affect her pregnancy? Also we phoned our vet and they told us to leave her overnight and see what happens tommorow.

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
Leave her overnight where? At home or the vet? If they said at home, then I would find an ER for her. Where do you live?

Guineapigs.

Cavy Slave
Leave her overnight where? At home or the vet? If they said at home, then I would find an ER for her. Where do you live?
They told me to leave her overnight at home. I live in the North of Scotland

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Regarding her age, getting pregnant for the first time at the age of two can definitely be a problem. The pelvic ligaments begin to stiffen around 9 months of age, and delivery becomes progressively more difficult after that time. If an older sow, pregnant for the first time, has a very large pup, it's unlikely that she'll be able to deliver it. If all the pups are small, she might make it.

I'm sorry you don't have a vet available. This is a medical emergency. I hope you can find someone to help her.

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
How is she?

Guineapigs.

Cavy Slave
Regarding her age, getting pregnant for the first time at the age of two can definitely be a problem. The pelvic ligaments begin to stiffen around 9 months of age, and delivery becomes progressively more difficult after that time. If an older sow, pregnant for the first time, has a very large pup, it's unlikely that she'll be able to deliver it. If all the pups are small, she might make it.

I'm sorry you don't have a vet available. This is a medical emergency. I hope you can find someone to help her.
I got her to a vet in time but sadly she didn't make it thanks for helping me though x

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'm very sorry you lost her.

For future reference, or if you ever know anyone who has an older guinea pig pregnant for the first time, you should have an x-ray done shortly before the pups are due. That will tell if you there's one large pup blocking the birth canal, and if so, the pups can be surgically delivered.

TinyPiggy

Cavy Slave
I'm very sorry for her loss. Rest in peace, little one. Be gentle on yourself while you are grieving her loss.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I am so sorry to hear that she didn't make it. I was hoping for the best, sadly, it wasn't meant to be.

Rest in peace at the Rainbow Bridge, little mama.

LittleSqueakers

Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry your sweet girl didn't make it.