Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Need good hamster information

dkottler

Cavy Slave
We just adopted a pair of hamsters from a young girl who did not know much about them.

She said she had them for about a year but did not name them.

She said that she thought she was buying a male hamster from a pet store and it turned out to be a pregnant female (heard that one many times!) She kept the mom and one baby and gave the others away. But she could not even tell me which one was the mom even though they look different enough to tell them apart from each other.

They were kept in a 10 gallon tank with an exercise wheel that was way too small for them. The smallest they make. But these girls are BIG. It was painful to see them try to use that wheel!

She could not tell me what type of hamster they are. So I am starting from scratch. We have had Robo hamsters before so I know about them but nothing about this type. Does anyone have a good web site/forum to send me to. The site has been so wonderful in educating me on the care of guineas and now I need the same for hamsters!

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Food: Harry/Hazel Hamster
Cage: Large homemade bin cages
Wheel: One large enough for them to use comfortably with no wires. Meaning a solid wheel is best.

leyley904
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.
leyley904
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

dkottler

Cavy Slave
From looking at pictures on the web, I think they are Syrians. Everything I have read about them say to not house more than one as they will fight. I of course asked the previous owner this. In fact, she insisted on re-homing them together since they are clearly bonded. I presume that since they are mother and child, they are an exception. I am watching them to make sure they are violent with each other.

1frankie7

Cavy Slave
I am watching them to make sure they are violent with each other.

I think you mean "I am watching them to make sure they arent violent".

JD In Van

Cavy Slave
Even if they aren't violent with eachother now you should still seperate them. They can only co exist well in very large groups (to defuse aggression) and can go from being peaceful to suddenly violent and territorial very suddenly.

Mishy

Cavy Slave
I have syrian hamsters which are the biggest of the hamster varieties. They are solitary & will fight to the death if kept together, regardless of relationship.

The wheel needs to be no less than 8" in diameter so when the hamster runs it's back does not bend.

Harry Hamster is the favoured mix by many hamster owners.
They are omnivores so can be given, as a treat, small amounts of fruit, veg, cheese, meat, scrambled egg (just a few that spring to mind)

Mine also love porridge, dry toast, millet & dried mealworms (a great source of protein) again i give these sparingly.

If you've had hamsters you will know not to use the fluffy cotton wool type bedding as this can cause blockages & has been known to become entangled around the limbs of hamsters causing horrific injuries.

I do know of some hamster forums but they are UK ones.

Barb1222

Cavy Slave
I had two sister syrian hamsters. Got them when they were young. One got out of the cage one day and when I put her back in the cage, they began to fight. I don't know if its because maybe the sister that escaped smelled different or something, but I just figured that it was time to separate them. Syrian hamsters need to be housed alone. I would play it safe and just separate them. Do a search, I'm sure you'll find the same info.