Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Need advise ASAP-sick baby 1.5 weeks old

moosey2002

Cavy Slave
So my orphaned babies seemed to be doing well. two days ago they stopped wanting the syringe fed critical care mash and were eating well in their own- guinea pig pellets, romaine lettuce,carrots, green peppers...BUT I have not seen any of them drink from the water bottle yet. Ive been wetting down their veggies trying to help. they are refusing water from a syringe, and they all seemed ok so I was assuming that they must be sneaking water when Im not looking?(But the water bottle isnt going down any) So today my daughter called me about 4pm saying our one baby (Blondie) was whooping looking for food and we were out of lettuce. I stopped at the store on the way home from work, got here about 515pm and found Blondie laying on her side barley moving. I was able to get 1cc of water in her (against her will). she isnt trying to eat or drink at all. I took this video in hopes someone can help me figure out what is going on. Im worried maybe she is dehydrated?? I have no clue what is wrong otherwise, unless they were just orphaned too young and it wasnt strong enough?? Ive tried so hard to do right by these babies...this is breaking my heart, and my kids, to see her like this. Anyone have any idea what to do other than comfort her while she passes?

this is the link to the video

(broken link removed)lease help!!

Have you take them to the vet? If not, it might be a good idea to take them in.
(Sorry I have not watch your video. I'm at work and cannot watch right now.)

Have you take them to the vet? If not, it might be a good idea to take them in.
(Sorry I have not watch your video. I'm at work and cannot watch right now.)
the only vet that sees guinea pigs is 30 miles away and now closed. Any after hours ER vet I can not pay for right now. Last week when I went with mom, who died in their office, they said it would be about $300 for after hours visits. I love these piggies, but I just lost my job and cant afford that :( so Im here on the net hoping for some advice. They all seemed to be doing so well...the other two are still active and playing and eating...Im just not seeing anyone drink and they fight me and refuse a syringe.

I honestly don't know much about that stuff but it looks like she's gasping for air. Either way an emergency vet visit should be made.

She looks like she's gasping for air, perhaps choking on something. I am thinking she has some food partially lodged. She needs a vet. If you are unwilling to take, try calling any shelters in the area that may have someone on staff that can help.

She looks like she's gasping for air, perhaps choking on something. I am thinking she has some food partially lodged. She needs a vet. If you are unwilling to take, try calling any shelters in the area that may have someone on staff that can help.
our shelter doesnt have anyone...you get a machine and they said to call back during business hours. how would i help dislodge it if something is obstructing? I also just read that gasping like this ios a sign of heart attack or stroke?

I'd get her to a vet asap. They can check her vital signs and might be able to figure out what's going on. You might end up losing her without it. They can probably set up a payment plan for you if it's the cost that's keeping you from taking her in.

Does your vet not have an emergency numbers? I understand you can't afford it but in cases like this I know my vet will bill. (emergency only) and this is an emergency.

she just passed away in my hands. I have no idea what just happened or why.

she just passed away in my hand.

Sorry to hear that moosey. For future reference I would gather emergency contact numbers for your vet and put them on your fridge.

Sorry to hear that moosey. For future reference I would gather emergency contact numbers for your vet and put them on your fridge.
absolutely. This was way more than I bargained for with this store bought guinea pig. If I had any clue she was pregnant, or would die, or this, I could have been better prepared. Im calling the vet int he morning to get emergency numbers. I think Im going to go throw up now. thanks for the help everyone.....Im grateful for your input.

Very very sorry.

absolutely. This was way more than I bargained for with this store bought guinea pig. If I had any clue she was pregnant, or would die, or this, I could have been better prepared. Im calling the vet int he morning to get emergency numbers. I think Im going to go throw up now. thanks for the help everyone.....Im grateful for your input.

My pet store guinea pig also passed away. She was very sick since day 1. Had intestinal parasites and ring worm. She was being treated and was almost done with her meds and she passed away over night. I know it's hard to deal with. But I will not be buying any more pets from a pet store, you just never know their health.

I'm very sorry for your loss. Please take the others to the vet for a check-up, preferably a different vet than the one who told you to feed them milk and raw egg.

Did you ever feed her raw eggs?

I'm very sorry for your loss. Please take the others to the vet for a check-up, preferably a different vet than the one who told you to feed them milk and raw egg.

Did you ever feed her raw eggs?
Yes, she did get some that first night, they all did, but I stopped first thing in the morning...that was over a week ago. That is the only vet anywhere near me that will see guinea pigs. Im going to do some research tonight and see if I cant find another one that may be further, but at this point, I feel its probably worth the trip. I dont know how well these little ones would fair in the car for an hour though?

So very sorry for your loss, the little one was beautiful. I know it isn't much of a help, but she isn't in pain any longer. I could only watch part of the video, so sad.

An hour would be fine. See vet list here:
(broken link removed)

So very sorry for your loss, the little one was beautiful. I know it isn't much of a help, but she isn't in pain any longer. I could only watch part of the video, so sad.
thank you. She was so awesome too. the friendliest of them three by far. I just pulled the video down. Its horrible to watch and too late now anyway. I know she's with her mamma now, but I still feel horrible. Im going to call a vet in my hometown that is all exotic pets and get their advice. If they think its safe for them to do a round trip of about 2 hours, I may take them there too. Ill find out in the morning.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.