Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Need Advice - What is best for my piggies?

jwhite0526

Cavy Slave
I have two piggies which I thought were both boys but when one of them gave birth a few days ago, I discovered otherwise. I am planning to find good homes for the babies once they are weaned but need advice on what to do with the parents.

My options are spay the female, neuter the male, or divide their cage. I'm trying to make the decision that is best for them but it's not an easy one. The surgeries both have risks of death. The neuter is a little safer but I am also way more attached to the male (he was my first piggie) and I don't know if I can put his life at risk. The only other option though is to permanently seperate them which would not be ideal because I know piggies need a friend. It is worth noting that the piggies didn't interact much even when they had the opportunity to, so maybe that wouldn't be as big of a deal as I think.

Keeping the babies and housing them with the same sex parent is unfortunately not an option. My fiance and I live in a very small apartment and there is just no room.

Thank you for any guidance you can give me!

I saw your other thread about this issue. I'd keep either mom or dad and one of the pups of the same sex and rehome the others. Since mom is already bonded to the pups, the easiest solution would be to keep mom and a female pup (if there is one) and rehome the others. Keeping dad and a male pup is also an option. You can try and pair them in a couple of weeks and see if they bond before you decide for sure. Either way, you'd save the money on neutering and still have a bonded pair. What sexes are the babies? You can always rehome two as a pair if you have two others of the same sex. If you are set on keeping the parents, I'd neuter the male. I wouldn't divide the cage and keep mom and dad.

Was the male in with the female when she gave birth? If so, it's almost a given that she's pregnant again. Females go into heat immediately after giving birth. So if you decide to spay her, the sooner the better before the babies start to develop.

Pinky - Thanks for the advice, it's just so hard to wrap my had around giving away one of the parents!

Foggy - I didn't know she was pregnant she he wasn't removed until she was between giving birth to the second and third baby. Could he have impregnated her when she was still in labor?

I don't believe he would have impregnated her at that time. I believe it is after completing birth that it happens, but wait for more of an expert to chime in :)

I'm no expert either but what female of any species would let a male near her while giving birth....LOL

Can you build them a stacked cage? Keep the male babies with dad and the female babies with mom.

You can stack them with one empty row in between the cages so it's easier to get into the bottom cage.

Some ideas here:
[GuineaPigCages.com] Need Advice - What is best for my piggies?

For support, you can use 2x2 lumber. They're actually 1.5x1.5 inches and will fit into the spacing in the grid. Just ask the lumberyard to cut to the length you need.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.