Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Adopting need advice this can't fail

nox'mamma

Cavy Slave
So I would really like to get a budddy for Nox but I have a concern
What if they don't end up getting along? I take adopting very seriously and if they don't end up getting along what do I do? I don't have room for another or a bigger segregated cage and I would feel rediculous taking him back to the SPCA (we don't have a rescue here but the SPCA has piggies), would they get mad at me? The SPCA requires that you reserve a minimum of 3hrs for the adoption process, interviews and such and I'm afraid they will feel like I wasted their time.

xoLauraox09

Cavy Slave
Hmmm... I am wondering that too with my boar.

Maybe they will let you see if another boar gets on better?

Or you could separate the cage.

JD In Van

Cavy Slave
You need to have a separate cage for at least three weeks for Quarintine to start with.

You should talk to the SPCA and ask them about their policy for taking back animals if they don't get along when you go there to adopt as well.

leyley904
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

nox'mamma

Cavy Slave
Thanks everyone for the advice I will call them. Oh and I do have a smaller cage for quarentine but it is not one I would have a piggy living in forever.

nox'mamma

Cavy Slave
Ok. So I can bring a piggy back within 30 days, after quarentine that leaves just 8 days to see if they will get along. I've read up on CavySpirit how to introduce them, do you think I can do it?

Also the Vet at the humane society is really good and they make sure they are healthy and behaviorally ok, before they put them up for adoption, they also keep their guinea pigs separate from each other (though they do keep bonded pairs together) do you think that with these precautions that I could shave off some of the quarentine time at my home seeing how they pretty much are in quarentine now?

Molly75

Cavy Slave
I can't answer your question about shortening quarantine time, I'm not knowledgeable about that. However, I think that if you quarantine for 20 days, then give them 9 days to get to know each other, that leaves you one day to return your pig. Just make sure that's a day they are open. I think 9 days is enough time to see if they get along. It's doable! Good luck :)

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
You should know pretty much immediately if they are getting along, so thirty days is plenty. Do a full three week quarantine--don't cut it short.

To increase your chance of them getting along:
-Make as big of a cage as you can.
-Have multiples of everything, especially hideys.
-Use hideys that they can run through like towel tents--no pigloos or others that have one entrance.
-Do a proper intro on neutral territory.
-Get a pig with an opposite personality; if yours is very dominant, try to find a submissive one.
-If you have a young pig, get an older one (and vice versa) if possible.

Not all pigs get along, but many do just fine. Good luck!

nox'mamma

Cavy Slave
You all are so wonderful!! Thankyou for all the advice. I haven't figured out the thank thingy yet but I will. Akstrohm I promise not to shorten Quarintine and I will have 3 weeks to make more hidies. Molly thanks for being so positive!
I don't really see my pig as dominant but what do I know really, but I'll try to get a more high spirited one. I will also try to make the cage bigger I'm sure my kids will love to help design that!