Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Need Advice Please!!

kp53179

Cavy Slave
Okay so no matter how much research I do, I feel like I am giving my pig the wrong things. Will someone please tell me whether or not the following items I bought are good for Buddy?

Super Pet Bunny Bites: I was looking for things for him to chew on and as soon as I get them home and open them, I notice they are made poorly. He took chunks out of it right away and I have a feeling he shouldn't be swallowing this stuff.

Im guessing they are called Kabobs? I bought one thinking I could clip it somewhere and he would have fun biting it, but come to find out I didn't do a good enough job looking at it cause I see dried super glue. I definitely want to throw this away. Let's just say there wasn't any visible glue, I have a feeling it still isn't safe for him.

Next I have Willow Gardens Pretzel Sticks: I feel that these are okay so far but he has only chewed it a few times for a few seconds. Are these meant to be completely eaten by them?

I got him a Willow Gardens Chew cube. He seemed to like it but was biting pieces off right away. Is it okay to be digesting this too?

I think the only thing that I may feel comfortable with is the Lounging logs that can be formed into different shapes. Doesn't seem to be a problem yet.

Bottom line, I don't mind spending money to get the best for Buddy. However, I get disappointing to see such poorly made products. If someone can ease my mind then it may not be so bad! Thanks!

I use the lounging logs and I personally think they are the best! It is easy to make them into different shapes where my pigs can either sleep in them or climb all over them. It is quite amusing. Chewing on them is O.K too. Although, if the metal bar becomes visible or accessible it should be removed from the cage.

I suggest you make home made toys, they seem to have the best effect on the little piggies:D

Yeah I really think he is happy with the logs! He such a cutie, popcorning all over the place! I am definitely done buying anything cause I am running low on funds to experiment, of course its money well spent for him! I am definitely going to do those homemade toys! What bothers me is that I want to make sure he has enough things to chew on so his teeth doesn't get bad! Have you tried those chewbular tubes? All he has to chew on technically is his food, veggies, those logs and his alfalfa hay! How will I know if he isn't chewing enough?

No I have not tried the Chewbular Tube. My pigs are constantly chewing on the logs and Timothy Hay, I think that hsould be enough if they have unlimited access to it.
Hmm... if you are really concerned, I am probably not the one to help you. Good luck though, the development of your Piggies teeth are very important.

You helped me! My mind is at ease for now! Of course I am always going to be curious! Thank you so much :)

What bothers me is that I want to make sure he has enough things to chew on so his teeth doesn't get bad! Have you tried those chewbular tubes? All he has to chew on technically is his food, veggies, those logs and his alfalfa hay! How will I know if he isn't chewing enough?

Are you only feeding alfalfa hay? How old is your pig? Pigs over 6 months should not have alfalfa at all, unless they are pregnant or nursing.

Piggies don't need chew toys. They need unlimited grass hay.
https://www.guinealynx.info/hay.html

What kind of pellets are you feeding? If you are feeding alfalfa pellets, they don't need alfafa hay.
https://www.guinealynx.info/pellets.html

I was told he was about 3 or 4 months. I feel that after this bag of hay is gone I might switch to timothy (only if it lasts a few months longer.. I am sure it won't.)

Anyways, he has Oxbow alfalfa hay and Oxbows young cavy performance pellets. I will have to check to see if that has alfalfa pellets. If so, I can go ahead and buy Timothy Hay?

I thought they had to have stuff to chew on, I was worried he was missing out! Thanks for putting my mind at ease!

Thank you so much for your feedback!

You should start timothy hay now (or any other grass hay: orchard, bluegrass, etc). Pigs of all ages need grass hay. It helps with filing down their teeth and helps with digestive system. Alfalfa is a legume hay, it's high in protein and calcium.

Oxbow Cavy Performance is alfalfa based.

Okay sounds great! Thank you so much! I will go out first thing and buy that! I am going to have to see if their is a shelter that will accept donations so that I don't have to throw a good bag of alfalfa hay out :)

You can absolutely give both timothy and alfalfa hay to pigs under six months, so you don't necessarily have to get rid of the bag you have. Just make sure that you always have timothy (or another grass) hay available. If he likes alfalfa, feed it as a treat and taper off if he is getting near or over six months of age. My piggies are about six months, but they would never eat alfalfa hay. They would eat the alfalfa pellets though.

Okay that's great to know. Buddy loves his alfalfa hay and goes crazy when I put fresh stuff down! I will follow what you say and use a combination of both! Thank you so much :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.