Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Need advice on what to say..

MookaGuineaPig

Cavy Slave
Hello everyone,
someone that I know who I am friends with on Facebook has been trying to adopt new pets through Facebook. She has been posting on all kinds of pages where people can post about pets that they need to rehome. I am so concerned, because she is soo irresponsible (she can barely take care of herself, let alone an animal.) She is constantly posting about how her hamsters are dying because no one takes care of them for her.. one of her friends said that they had her take care of her guinea pig, and she LOST it! They found it hiding in a hole in the bathroom wall! Anyways, I really want to talk to her and convince her not to get anymore pets, but I don't know what I should say. She gets really defensive even when people are just trying to help. When she posted about her hamsters dying (I don't even want to tell you how they died.. :(), my friends and I suggested her taking the other remaining hamsters to the animal shelter, but she got so angry.. (I really wish I had offered to take them, but at the time I hadn't thought of that...) Anyways, if anyone has any suggestions as to how to approach her.. it'd be greatly appreciated. I tried to send a message through Facebook to one of the owners of some doves she tried to adopt to warn them, but I'm not sure if they received it..

She doesn't sound like someone I'd want as a friend in the first place, if she's so easily defensive when approached.

The best thing to do is is comment about how hard it is to care for them, and link her some care pages. Judging by what you say, she doesn't seem to value their life. It may not do any good. Offer to take them if she decides they're too much, if you can. You'd be a better person to rehome them than her.

Honestly, the only reason I am still Facebook friends with her is because I want to make sure that if she posts something about not wanting her pets anymore or something, I can do something to help!
I would do that, but you're right... it wouldn't do any good. She'd probably tell me that she has had plenty of pets in the past ( even though that doesn't mean she knows how to care for them!) I think I might just have to wait for the opportunity to offer to take the pets, which I am sure will come eventually!
Thanks for your advice, @MissJean. She's always calling herself an animal lover and posting all kinds of things about how animal abuse is bad.. but she doesn't see that she is abusing her animals! it makes me so mad!

So many red flags here. Both for her charges and for you as well. What follows is simply my opinion from what I read in your post.

She is constantly posting about how her hamsters are dying because no one takes care of them for her.. one of her friends said that they had her take care of her guinea pig, and she LOST it! They found it hiding in a hole in the bathroom wall!
Takes care of them FOR her???? She 'lost' a piggy?? Major red flag, to me.
She gets really defensive even when people are just trying to help.
This tells me she really does not want help. Just attention
When she posted about her hamsters dying (I don't even want to tell you how they died..
This one really bothers me. Since you are reluctant to post how the hammies died that tells me that they died in an abusive/horrific manner.

From what you write I would say that no matter what you say or how gently you say it it will fall on deaf ears.

Maybe this is off the wall, but I am concerned that she could post evil things about you.

I know this will sound callous but maybe you should un-friend her? Sometimes discretion is the better part of valor. Yeah, I am old.

Dori

I think she's someone I'd stay away from her, too. Sounds bad news any way you look at it and there's nothing you can really do anyway.

Thanks everyone, I really wish there was something I could do to help.. I think of those poor animals every day, but I need to face the reality that there are so many people like her out there, and as much as I would like to, I can't help all the animals in the world.. :(

That is the sad part. You and all of us want to help an animal in distress but sad to say there are times we just can't. :( You are still a wonderful person to care and want to help!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.