Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Need advice and help

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
Actually, Dr. Burgess has told me exactly that - that it actually only takes 2 weeks for the sperm to die. But he also says to wait more than twice that long for peace of mind, so go figure. :)

pigluvinARK

Cavy Slave
I have a few questions about after Luke's neutering. Do I need to put him in a quarantine cage for a few days to help keep him from over doing it? And if so for how many days till he can be put back in his original cage next to Layla? I am figuring on waiting at least 3 weeks before putting him and Layla in the cage together, just to be on the safe side. What about floor time? Should I wait to let him have his floor time and for how long?
I just want to make sure that he heals properly. I don't want him hurting himself. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
Ask your vet about this, but I don't think you will need to limit his movement (ie in a quarantine cage) unless there's a reason to do so.

I would ask for metacam for a few days after the surgery (sometimes vets don't think pain management is important for these guys, but I do).

I wouldn't let him have floor time with her until after 2 weeks at least, but I think he can probably have floor time by himself as soon as he's feeling better (in my case has almost always been the morning after surgery).

Do you know if your vet is going to do internal sutures? I would hope so, but it's something you might want to ask ahead of time.

Here are a couple links you might want to read up on:
http://www.guinealynx.info/surgery.html
http://www.guinealynx.info/postop.html

Best of luck to you and little Luke!

pigluvinARK

Cavy Slave
Just thought I would let ya'll know that Luke had his surgery today. He is home. But he is completly mad at me. He refuses to talk to me. And when I try to talk to him he looks away. Hopefully he wont stay mad at me for to long. They gave me Metacam for pain for the next few days, and Sulfatrim Susp. for a just in case thing (because I asked for it). So hopefully things will go smooth.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
He won't! He'll get over it and be back to himself in no time. Believe me, when he's living with the ladyfolk, he won't remember being angry with you at all!

Glad to hear he did well through surgery!

pigsmakemesmile

Cavy Slave
All I can say is "wow"...for a first time cavy owner, you've been through the ringer. I'm sooo glad you found us. For one thing, I just love your piggers. The black and red one looks identical to my Chubbs who passed away last August from complications from surgery. Reading your earlier posts about them looking pregy especially the black and red pig, well, that's why I named my boy Chubbs. I got him and his brother from a rescue and boy...fat was an understatement...try 4lbs. He had such a personality. Out of my 6 boys, he showed his emotions...stomped his feet all the time if one of the others crossed the line with him. He was so precious to me. So seeing your little ones picture brought tears to my eyes. I'm more of a naturalist and aqcuired my pigs in keeping the same gender to avoid putting them through a spay/neuter. However, unforseen circumstances come in to play and one has to make the right choice in the sake of preventing situations as an unwanted pregnancy. You've made the right choice in neutering Luke. God bless him, I hope his recovery goes well. I wish a safe delivery for the mommy to be and babies. Please post piggytures. I admire all that you've done in trying to do the right thing. It shows your a responsible and mindful pet owner and loving too. I'm glad that they came into your care. I'm a firm believer in Karma and how events in life happen for a reason. I consider myself blessed that the good lord / nature gave me my pigs and the responsiblilty to care for them...something I hold with honor. Good luck to you and your little ones!

pigluvinARK

Cavy Slave
Thank you both for the wonderful comments. He finally talked to me a little this evening while I was holding him and giving him his meds. And he cuddled my neck. So maybe he wont stay mad to long.

Yeah it seems like if it can go wrong it has. HaHa. Layla was supposed to be a male when I got her, that is why we got Luke to begin with. And I fell in love with both of them so there was no getting rid of them. Then I came across the other two older females. I thought they would get along with Layla, but I was wrong. I didn't want to get 2 more so we decided to just try to get Layla and Luke to where they could live together. They are housed right next to each other and are always talking to one another. So it was an easy choice. But now we are planning on keeping the babies if at all possible. So we are gonna have a whole herd either way! These little guys grow on you real quick. They have me wrapped around their little paws and they know it! Hope all is well with you guys piggies.