Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Need advice and help

pigluvinARK

Cavy Slave
I am finding myself in need of alot of advice and understanding.

I acquired two female guinea pigs about 5-6 weeks ago. Butterscotch and Tootsie. Well I got them out yesterday and noticed that Tootsie was a little wider than she has been. I sat down with her and put my hands on the sides of her belly. She has a knot on both sides of her tummy. They are about the size of a mouse. And then today I got her out and was holding her and the knots moved several times.

So I am guessing that she is pregnant. But I am not sure about the other one, Butterscotch. She feels a little wider to, but I didn't feel anything move yet.

The people I got them from said that their daughter lost interest in them and just did not want them anymore. I am starting to wonder if it was because she got a new younger piggie. It kind of upsets me that she would choose not to tell me everything though.

So what do I need to do to prepare?
About how far along could she or they be?

I have been weighing them. Tootsie's weight on Feb. 19 was 868grams. And March 7 it was 910grams.
Butterscotch's weight on Feb. 19 was 1027grams. And on March 7 it was 1070grams.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated. And I am planning on either keeping all or part of the babies or finding appropriate homes for them. I can promise that if I do home them out that I will be extremely picky about who they go to. And I will have tons of requirements.

krittercrazy

Cavy Slave
It does sound as if Tootsie is pregnant and probably due in a 2-3 weeks. Maybe they had a male that they had already found a home for or as you said had gotten a new one. I would probably check Butterscotch again to be sure she is a she. (I tend to be paranoid and am always double checking.) If Butterscotch is female then chances are pretty good that she is pregnant to.
Have you seen https://www.guinealynx.info/labor.html
Of course now is a good time to get the cage baby proofed. I am sure someone will come along with info on her dietary needs. Or you could do a search.
Hope all goes well.

pigluvinARK

Cavy Slave
It does sound as if Tootsie is pregnant and probably due in a 2-3 weeks. Maybe they had a male that they had already found a home for or as you said had gotten a new one. I would probably check Butterscotch again to be sure she is a she. (I tend to be paranoid and am always double checking.) If Butterscotch is female then chances are pretty good that she is pregnant to.
Have you seen https://www.guinealynx.info/labor.html
Of course now is a good time to get the cage baby proofed. I am sure someone will come along with info on her dietary needs. Or you could do a search.
Hope all goes well.

Well I checked Butterscotch again. She has a very noticeable "Y". Then we sat here and had cuddle time for a few minutes. I did feel her belly again. I actually just held my hand real still on both sides of her belly. I felt a few flutters on both sides, and then a big bulge on one side, then it was gone. So my guess is that I have two pregnant piggies.

I just wish they had told me. It wouldn't of changed my mind about giving them a loving home. But I would have been watching for the signs just in case. I could of also been giving them Alfalfa hay.

Do I need to change their hay to just alfalfa or mix it with timothy? Or would it be better to just give them a small handful a day? And do they need alfalfa pellets or is the oxbow cavy cuisine ok still?

I do appreciate the help.

BubuCandyBlue

Cavy Slave
Well maybe those people didn't know better either. What's done is done. They are in better hands now.

Unlimited Cavy Cuisine and aflalfa hay sounds good (this way you get both timothy and alfalfa). Veggies are the same in the chart, no need to get higher ones with calcium.

Keep us posted. If they are pregnant, they are due soon.

Last edited:

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
Yeah, the former owners might not have known. You can do a few things for calcium: stay with grass hay and switch to Cavy Performance, add some alfalfa hay (mixing it with timothy is fine) and stay with Cavy Cuisine, or supplement grass hay and Cavy Cuisine with calcium rich veggies such as parsley. The babies will need one of these options as well.

BubuCandyBlue

Cavy Slave
From Ly on babies
Also, I heard that babies need to be feed Alfalfa hay because of the calcium. If that's true at what age do I stop that?
You can do one of several things. You can feed alfalfa based pellets OR you can feed timothy based pellets and supplement the grass hay which they need from day 1 with alfalfa OR you can give timothy based pellets, grass hay and higher calcium veggies a bit more often. If you do decide to supplement the grass hay with alfalfa hay then you can give it up until they are about 6 months of age.

So either the babies/mommy gets the calcium from alfalfa pellets, or hay, that is all they need.

Another post from Ly upon a bay piggie and an adult.
Just feed alfalfa based pellets until the younger one is 6 months. It won't hurt the older one to have it either because alfalfa pellets can be fed for up to a year. Give unlimited grass hay and you won't have to supplement with extra calcium enriched veggies.

pigluvinARK

Cavy Slave
Thank you all so much for the advice. I am so scared for them. I just hope they both turn out ok. I will keep updates on this post. I will also try to get a new picture of Tootsie up this afternoon. It is a little harder to see Butterscotch's weight gain due to all her fur. She is my Abby. Ya'll are so wonderful, I am so glad I found this site. It has been a lifesaver to me and to my babies.

pigluvinARK

Cavy Slave
I have added a photo to my personal picture gallery of Tootsie. Not the best picture but there is another pic in there of her right after I got her. I will try to get a few better ones up soon.

Clarion

Cavy Slave
Two prego pigs?! Wow. Do you know/have an estimate on age? I'm sure you already know about the problems with older females having a litter. If you don't have a solid idea how old they are, I would take them to the vet to see if he/she could give you an idea if their pelvices are fused or not.

pigluvinARK

Cavy Slave
I don't know anything about them prior to them living with me. The previous owners practically pushed me out the door with them. They were very short about any info other than difference of opinion about temperament. That is just another reason I was unhappy with their living conditions. Makes me that much happier that I decided to bring them home with me.

Me and my husband talked about taking them to the vet to make sure that all was well. We are just waiting on his check. But it could be two weeks before we our able to. I just hope that they don't go into labor first! I have been doing alot of reading so I am aware of all the things that could go wrong for them.

pigluvinARK

Cavy Slave
Here is a pic of Tootsie's belly that I took this afternoon. Hope it comes through.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Can you take pictures of them from the top looking down over them so I can see what they look like from above. I need full body shots of them.

pigluvinARK

Cavy Slave
Here is a picture of Tootsie from the top. It was taken two or three days ago.

Also I heard a chattering like thing when listening to Tootsies belly.

Attachments

pigluvinark-albums-my-piggie-family-picture329-tootsie-march-9-2009.jpg
Last edited:

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
She does not look pregnant to me. Pregnant pigs normally have a very visable pear shape when pregnant.

Can you post a picture of Butterscotch?

pigluvinARK

Cavy Slave
Here is a few pics that I took a few minutes ago. Hope these help.

pigluvinARK

Cavy Slave
Don't know if anyone seen that I posted updated photos. Here they are.

Clarion

Cavy Slave
They don't look pregnant to me. Like Ly said, pregnant pigs will develop a pear-shape. But, I'm not sure how noticable it would be if a pig was pregnant with only one baby.

pigluvinARK

Cavy Slave
I have decided to take Tootsie and Butterscotch to the vet for a exam. That way we can be sure of what is going on with them. I will post what I find out. They said they could see them today. So I will post again this evening. Wish us luck!

cookie!

Cavy Slave
my piggie had only one baby and the pear shape was very noticeable !
the baby is the very same colors as tootsie!!

pigluvinARK

Cavy Slave
The vet gave us some really good news. Neither one is pregnant. She said that the increase in their weight is due to them eating properly. She said they both look really good. Teeth were good also. Thank you for all the help on the issue. Just felt that we better be safe and have the vet take a look.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.