Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Hair Loss need a little help....

canbquik

Cavy Slave
yesterday, picked up a couple of female cavies from women at work. Bought them for her niece and she didn't want them and she can't have pets where she lives. So, I told her I would take them and added them to the family ( already have 2 ). Well, this evening, looked at Ginger's butt and the picture is what I saw.... Now, I don't believe they had any hay before or fresh veggies. Last night I gave them oranges, timmy hay, carrots and kale. They ate it in 5 minutes.

Don't think they were well cared for, they have moved twice in the last week, so, was wondering if this could be stress induced, or something more serious? They are both cute as all get out, and would hate to have to get rid of them, but don't want the two we have to become ill ( would devesate the kids ). Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Chris need a little help....

Looks more like fungus to me -- mites usually cause thinning hair but not total hair loss in one small area.

Fungus is very contagious, so you need to separate this one, and you'll have to detox the cage(s). Do read the fungus link that lissie posted -- it's fairly easy to treat yourself, but you need to jump on it right away.

That's the area where her grease gland is. It looks raw and inflamed to me. Is it scabs, or more like scales and flakes? Guinea pigs naturally have a spot there (grease gland) where they produce an oily substance. Sometimes when stressed or moved around a lot the gland produces more than normal. However, I've never seen one as sore looking as that.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.