Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay need a lesson in hay please!

jacqueline

Cavy Slave
so, i know pigs need unlimited access to hay. mostly it seems what people get for their (adult) pigs is timothy hay. what i need to know is kind of the "priority list" of what's the best hay to use, down to what's really not good.

There's no right or wrong hay to use, as long as its grass hay, not moldy, and not stalky, you can feed it. If you want to see the nutrition of each hay type, go to this link.
https://www.guinealynx.info/hay_chart.html

Note that Alfalfa is legume hay, not grass hay and too high in calcium to feed to adults.

I was also interested in this at one point, and did a lot off research on it. From what I found, and don't quote me on this I just looked it up on the internet, don't know how good to sites are that I found it one, Timothy is the best hay you can feed your pigs, other hays are ok if you have allergies, or would like to give them a little bit of verity once in a while, of course at the bottom of the worst hays to use would be stuff like Alfalfa. Don't know if this helped at all. I'd love to have some answers about this also, I did some much looking and that's all I can up with. xD

Other types of grass hay are fine. Doesn't need to be timothy. I've been feeding only bluegrass and orchard.

i recently bought a loose bag of orchard (?) hay from the farmer that i bought my timothy hay from. i was surprised - it seems like it's ALL stalk, not at all green. so much different from the timothy hay i got from KMS. i guess for variety it's alright, but it clearly can't be a staple. i tried to give some to my pigs, and they were only mildly interested.

Yeah, again I just looked it up online a while ago, I didn't know how good the places I got it from were. :D

Sounds like you need to find a different farmer :) Orchard hay I get from local farmer is always nice, soft and green. Even comparable to the quality of KM bluegrass.

i recently bought a loose bag of orchard (?) hay from the farmer that i bought my timothy hay from. i was surprised - it seems like it's ALL stalk, not at all green. so much different from the timothy hay i got from KMS. i guess for variety it's alright, but it clearly can't be a staple. i tried to give some to my pigs, and they were only mildly interested.
Sounds like a bad batch. I give my pigs Oxbow orchard grass hay, and it's usually very green, leafy and fresh.

To the OP, timothy hay is by far the most popular, but orchard grass and bluegrass are just as good. Orchard grass is generally thinner than timothy, and much easier on allergies.

oh, well. . . thanks! guess i'll look for another farmer!!

Don't meant to hijack, but while I am at it:

Does anybody know where a farm is I can purchase Timothy Hay from in Muskegon Michigan?

I am SUPER allergic to the Timothy hay I feed my piggy. I have bumps all up the front of my leg (we think from a still healing tattoo) Orchard/Bluegrass is a good substitute all around? Or only every once in a while?

Orchard or Bluegrass can be used as a substitute all around. :D I have a slight issue with my hay also, though I'm guessing it's from the dust of the bail I just got from a farmer, I'll be sticking to KMS from now on.

Well, unfortunately right now I'm using Kaytee Timothy hay. Which seems to be TERRIBLE quality, but he seems to love it. I put a big pile of it down and he loves to play in it. What is KMS?

Well, unfortunately right now I'm using Kaytee Timothy hay. Which seems to be TERRIBLE quality, but he seems to love it. I put a big pile of it down and he loves to play in it. What is KMS?
KMS Hayloft, it's an online store for really good quality hay and pellets on the west coast. Shipping costs are pretty outrageous, but it is really good product.

(broken link removed)

KMS is this: (broken link removed) It one of the best and cheapest brands of hay and pellets you can get, followed by Oxbow. The shipping may shock you, however pet store brands also charge shipping, it's just wrapped into the whole price, so you don't notice. If you calculate it, it's actually not that bad, and of course it's a really great brand. Kaytee, is one of the worst brands out there sadly. I feed that at first when I got into guinea pigs, since that's mostly what you see in the stores, I thought my pigs looked like they liked it, but when I gave them a pile of KMS...Wow it was a difference! xD They attacked it like it was a pile of chocolate. Haha

They seem to only have Timothy hay, does it depend on the time of year?

Yeah they ran out of Orchard and Blugrass for this season, though you can get Oxbow Orchard at stores

HOLY COW shipping!

Oxbow on Amazon is pretty cheap, and I think Dr. Foster and Smith is running a sale til June 19th. I didn't see any hay, but didn't go through the whole thing.

HOLY COW shipping!

Don't let shipping make the decision for you solely. If you work the cost of store bought hay compared to hay in bulk from KMS. And it has wayyyyy better quality.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.