Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General naming you guinea pigs

jacqueline

Cavy Slave
i'm sooooo bad with coming up with names. at first i figured giving them names wouldn't matter, since they wouldn't respond to them like dogs or cats would. but after a while i decided to give them names. then i wanted to pick theme names, since i had two, and it took me forever to come up with a couple of boys names. i decided on the Seinfeld show bunch - kramer and george. i got a third pig and came up with "dreyfus" after the actor who plays elaine. but then i didn't like that, and decided to switch to calling the third pig jerry. so, to re-cap, at first i had 2 pigs with no names, then 2 pigs named kramer and george, then a third rescue i named dreyfus, then decided to change dreyfus' name to jerry. AARRGG!! anyone else out there have trouble with their pig's names? have you ever changed your pigs names - or is that just too stupid!

One of my guineas name's is Buttercup. I bet you can find 50 pigs named Buttercup on this site alone! It's not original, but it feels right. If it didn't feel right, I'd have changed it.

It's not stupid to want to change their names.

I was just thinking today that I should have put more thought into my GP names so they all had a theam . I could have named them after wine; they could have benn Marlot, Chardney, Shriaz, and Pinot. I could have named them after Star Trek; Kirk, Tribble, Tronya (sp?), McCoy. But instead i have an Eddy Pig, Ben, Buddy and Bacon. Maybe next time! :)

I've decided that all my guinea pigs in the future will have names that relate to gaming or games. Just like the guinea pigs I'm getting on the 26th will be Fus and Ro Dah. xD (If you don't know what Skyrim is...that won't be funny)

I've decided that all my guinea pigs in the future will have names that relate to gaming or games. Just like the guinea pigs I'm getting on the 26th will be Fus and Ro Dah. xD (If you don't know what Skyrim is...that won't be funny)

Dovapiggies

I've changed names alot. Most of them came with names and I changed them, sometimes more than once. Curly Fry was adopted as Curly, Raichu was adopted as Roosevelt, Wolfbane was adopted as Pixie and renamed Goody Two Shoes and renamed again, Pichu was adopted as Gizmo and renamed Peach Pie and renamed again, Moo was adopted as Oreo and renamed Ala Mode and renamed again, Wishbone was adopted as Lily, Rigatoni was adopted as Squeaky Pants and Diglett was adopted as Pig.

I was just thinking today that I should have put more thought into my GP names so they all had a theam . I could have named them after wine; they could have benn Marlot, Chardney, Shriaz, and Pinot. I could have named them after Star Trek; Kirk, Tribble, Tronya (sp?), McCoy. But instead i have an Eddy Pig, Ben, Buddy and Bacon. Maybe next time! :)

I like all of your names. They all seem to fit together. If you ever did a Star Trek theme, you'd have to have a Scotty or a Beam Me Up Scotty....

I have an Alenko and Warden!! [Bioware fan =P ]

I also have a saved text in my phone that I edit constantly. It has a little over 20 names in it that whenever I think of one, I pull it up and type it in. Names are difficult. And it's even harder when your bf doesn't like what you choose and calls them something different just to annoy you. . . and then you start to like that name more!

Hello! :)
I have renamed all my guinea pigs. From the beginning I wanted them to be named after characters from classical literature since I love to read. Oliver was originally named Clifford but I decided a name from Oliver Twist was more fitting. His friend Scout was named Porky originally, but I renamed him after Scout Finch from To Kill a Mockingbird. After Oliver passed, I decided to keep the trend of To Kill a Mockingbird names and named my next boy Harper after the book's author, Harper Lee. Radley is named after the character from the book, Boo Radley.. I just found out that Radley is a girl, but I'm going to keep her name! I haven't thought of a good name for her friend when I get her in a few weeks.. Something TKAM related or not?

I think guinea pig names kind of choose themselves. If you keep changing it then it just means you haven't thought of the right one yet!

I'm still deciding wether or not to re-name one of my pigs. I think it'd be really cute if I re-named Marble Archie or Sam. I still don't know. lol

@PigPandemonium I don't know what Skyrim is. :D

Hello! :)
I have renamed all my guinea pigs. From the beginning I wanted them to be named after characters from classical literature since I love to read. Oliver was originally named Clifford but I decided a name from Oliver Twist was more fitting. His friend Scout was named Porky originally, but I renamed him after Scout Finch from To Kill a Mockingbird. After Oliver passed, I decided to keep the trend of To Kill a Mockingbird names and named my next boy Harper after the book's author, Harper Lee. Radley is named after the character from the book, Boo Radley.. I just found out that Radley is a girl, but I'm going to keep her name! I haven't thought of a good name for her friend when I get her in a few weeks.. Something TKAM related or not?

I think guinea pig names kind of choose themselves. If you keep changing it then it just means you haven't thought of the right one yet!

I love your names. To Kill a Mockingbird is my all time favorite book and movie. You should name her Calpurnia, Maudie or Mayella. I've mentioned this one time when someone else named their guinea pig Atticus, but did you know that Dill was "modeled" after Truman Capote who was a childhood friend of Harper Lee? When you watch the young actor who plays Dill act, he sure seems like a young Truman Capote.

nice to know i'm not alone :D

We named ours Quee and Kwee because that's the nosie they make. Hard to get less original than that. ;)

Hahah love the skyrim reference. Easy to name piggies after those just pick any of the shouts :p.

Names are a tricky thing, the thing that helps me name my animals is I usually pick a "theme" to it.
For instance goats- Named them all after Gods/Goddess
Horses- Named after the planets
Pigs- Named after character in books
Guinea pigs- Named after sweets :) i.e Marmalade, Cookies, Neapolitan, Macaroon.
I like to see their coat color as well to help me decide. And even then sometimes I see what personality pops out.
As always though I say you'll know when a name fits perfectly :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.