Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Feet Nail Trimming Again! Nicked The Quick......

Zuidy

Cavy Slave
I got both of the girls nails trimmed again today.

Lil' Babe's nails were pretty easy as I had trimmed her's before. My father just BARELY nicked the quick on one of them. She didn't even squeal or anything, and I got it healed with some styptic powder.

Big Sis' nails were easy for the most part. I couldn't get much of them, as this was the first time I have trimmed them since I have had her. So the quick will recede a bit by next month so I can get more.

I just can't help feeling that they are still too long! Grr...... I have had to re-clip Lil' Babe's nails 3 times in the past 2 months. The first time went great, the second time was OK but I learned more on how to do it, and today went great again. But I still feel they are too long....... How can I tell?

I had my dad help me. At first he was holding the Piggies, but we realized this was harder for him to do. So, warily, I let him clip the nails and I held her. I was wondering: She won't let me piddle around with her feet if she is just sitting in my lap, usually I have to hold her like here https://www.guinealynx.info/nails.html . I was wondering how to get her to let me clip them with her just sitting in my lap? Or should I just do what I have to to get it done?

How far away from the quick should I clip? Like just immediately below it, or can I leave a bit of nail to be safe?

What nail clippers are easiest: Human, or guillotine nail clippers?

Lil' Babe jerks away from me when I am clipping. What can I do to stop this? It makes me feel like I am hurting her.

__

Thanks!

Could anybody help me out?

I got both of the girls nails trimmed again today.

Lil' Babe's nails were pretty easy as I had trimmed her's before. My father just BARELY nicked the quick on one of them. She didn't even squeal or anything, and I got it healed with some styptic powder.

Big Sis' nails were easy for the most part. I couldn't get much of them, as this was the first time I have trimmed them since I have had her. So the quick will recede a bit by next month so I can get more.

I just can't help feeling that they are still too long! Grr...... I have had to re-clip Lil' Babe's nails 3 times in the past 2 months. The first time went great, the second time was OK but I learned more on how to do it, and today went great again. But I still feel they are too long....... How can I tell?

I had my dad help me. At first he was holding the Piggies, but we realized this was harder for him to do. So, warily, I let him clip the nails and I held her. I was wondering: She won't let me piddle around with her feet if she is just sitting in my lap, usually I have to hold her like here https://www.guinealynx.info/nails.html . I was wondering how to get her to let me clip them with her just sitting in my lap? Or should I just do what I have to to get it done?

How far away from the quick should I clip? Like just immediately below it, or can I leave a bit of nail to be safe?

What nail clippers are easiest: Human, or guillotine nail clippers?

Lil' Babe jerks away from me when I am clipping. What can I do to stop this? It makes me feel like I am hurting her.

__

Thanks!

I wish I could be more help. I use human clippers..just easier for me to hold I guess.. My opinion would be just do a little bit once a week or so that way the quick will recede. I did that for my dogs and seemed to work. Good luck! Hope someone can help you more..

Hi there! I have clipped my boy's nails twice. The first time he sat on my lap on a towel. That was a little difficult because I didn't want to scare him by holding his feet. Bu it still worked. I actually just tried the method that the link suggests and it works well. It took Felix a couple of minutes to calm down in that position against my chest, but eventually he chilled out and let me cut his nails. It was easy!

I would personally leave a little bit of nail just to be safe. I would hate to risk cutting the quick. And I use cat claw scissors. They work great!

Hi there! I have clipped my boy's nails twice. The first time he sat on my lap on a towel. That was a little difficult because I didn't want to scare him by holding his feet. Bu it still worked. I actually just tried the method that the link suggests and it works well. It took Felix a couple of minutes to calm down in that position against my chest, but eventually he chilled out and let me cut his nails. It was easy!

I would personally leave a little bit of nail just to be safe. I would hate to risk cutting the quick. And I use cat claw scissors. They work great!

Such as these?

https://www.amazon.com/Millers-Forge-Cat-Claw-Scissors/dp/B000YJ2X84

_
_

Mine look like those, only smaller. What is different between those and regular Guillotine styled ones?

So do I have to clip them even though they arent very long?

I clip my pigs nails one a week or every other week. The rescue I got them from didn't clip them, so they used to be very long. Since then they've shortned up a lot. I leave room before the quick to make sure I don't hurt them. I get my mom to hold the pig and then I hold the foot and clip the nails with small animal clippers.

I have heard that the guillotine type can sometimes crush the nail rather than just cut which can cause pain.

I use human type clippers on both my bunnies and guinea pigs because I feel I have more control using them and ensuring safety.

If you are concerned they are still too long, I would start taking off just a little bit each week until they are a good length. I personally use clippers made for cats as the normal clippers and I did not get along.

I never realized how many people use a team of two to clip their pigs nails. I've been doing it by myself for years. I even do my friends piggies nails by myself no problem, even when it was ones very first time and whom I had never met.

I've mentioned this in other threads, but I end up trimming my guinea pigs' nails every three to four weeks, or whenever they manage to catch skin/scratch me when I'm picking them up.

I like the Super Pet-type small animal nail clipper. I can get all the way around the nail and line up my clip so as to avoid the quick. I firmly but gently hold the paw and nails that I am clipping with my non-dominant hand. I also have found that if I stand them up on their hind paws and press their back against my chest I have more control and they can't squirm away as much.

If they get really squirmy, you can take an old towel and make a "piggie burrito" as my vet calls it. You wrap them firmly up in a towel and take one paw out a time for clipping. Don't crush the other paws/legs! Think of it like wrapping up a baby doll.

Both my guinea pigs have black nails, which aren't as stressful/scary as people would think. I clip maybe a millimeter or two of at a time. With black nails, I prefer to be conservative.

Dinner always grinds her teeth and chatters at me, while Lunch shrieks and squirms like I'm doing some sort of awful torture to her. I just use my calm voice and tell them that it's okay, then give them a few Oxbow Veggie or Timothy Treats. I'm mostly forgiven afterwards.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.