Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Feet Nail Clipping?

LilyFlower

Cavy Slave
Hey all!

I was wondering.... I know that cavy nails grow fast, but I have never actually clipped them. I don't really want to take them to a "professional" clipper, as that will cost a fortune! But both my girls' nails are getting a bit long, and they are not worn down by the stone I have in their home. So how does one clip piggy nails? :)

Varcoda

Cavy Slave
buy a pair of pet nail clippers, like those used for cats, hold your piggies firmly with their back resting against you and pray hard they don't struggle while you clips their nails :p

its best to get the help of someone else to be safe. Pet Guinea Pig Nail Clipping Instruction - YouTube and mind the vein in their nails. the video is a good thing to watch!

Aleks

Cavy Slave
http://www.guinealynx.info/nails.html
That link should help a lot. :)
A lot of people use human nail clippers to trim their piggies nails. I use cat nail clippers as I find that they're a lot easier to use.

SheWolfSilver

Cavy Slave
It helps if you have someone that can hold the piggy while you clip the nails. It seems scary at first but it went much better than I was expecting.

CharScoobJoey

Cavy Slave
What I do is make someone hold the piggy tightly in a fleece blanket or towel. I make that person talk to the pig and stroke its head to comfort it. Then I take the piggy foot and clip each nail, paying close attention to the quick. After each foot I give the pig a little piece of lettuce or carrot or whatever their favorite treat is. If the nail begins to bleed, dip it in some flour to stop it. Good luck! ;)

SheWolfSilver

Cavy Slave
My husband holds our piggies while I clip and he gently blows on the back of their heads and it ruffles the fur. I have no idea why but it calms them and keeps them still! Maybe he is some guinea pig whisperer! LOL I don't know!

LilyFlower

Cavy Slave
Thanks everyone!
I'm going to try it today; we'll see how it goes!! :)