Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Nail Clipping

P

pink

Nail Clipping

A few questions i need answering:

1) I heard that using human nail clippers is ok at one site and not ok in another...which one? I'm really confused

2) A site says I need to clip monthly. Is this true? Because my gp's nails are pretty long i think.

3) How long is 'long' for guinea pig nails so that they need trimming?

Nails

I've used human nail clippers before because I couldn't find my pet clippers, and I didn't have a problem with it, although they don't cut animals nails the same way pet clippers do. Personally, I use cat claw clippers because they're like tiny scissors and easy to use.

You may not have to cut your pig's nails monthly. I'd imagine not all pig's nails grow the same. Don't let the nails get to a point where they curl under or bend in an odd position. That can cause discomfort. Also, when my pigs' nails are longer, they pick up poop and smashed food so much easier.

If you've ever trimmed nails on a cat or a dog with light nails, you'll notice a red blood vessle running through the nails. That's the quick. Be sure not to cut that or it will bleed ridiculously. If you're uncertain on how far back to clip, just start with the nail's tip. Should you cut into the quick, you can apply products like Quickstop, which stops the bleeding. My dog has thick black nails, and I've quicked him a couple of times. Usually in his case, I use a dry bar of unscented soap. It sticks to the spot and stops the bleeding better than Quickstop (but that's just on him). I've never used soap on my pigs because I'm not sure of their reaction to it, but I do watch when them when they have Quickstop a nail just to make sure they're not licking it off. It does come off quickly, however.

Hope this helped.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.