Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Feet Nail Clipping: How often?

Lpigger

Cavy Slave
I have read in many places that you are suppose to clip a guinea pig's nails about every month. I clipped my pig's nails about 2 weeks ago and it seems that they are growing pretty fast and that by the time a month comes, they will be way too long. I just wanted to ask a few questions: How often do you clip your pig's nails? Is there a sure sign in nail growth that they need to be clipped?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I do mine about every three weeks, but I did them more often when they were younger. Seems like they don't grow as fast as they used to.

Nikkipig

Cavy Slave
I have the same problem. Nikki got her nails cut two or three weeks ago and they're already back to the same length she started with.

Lpigger

Cavy Slave
Mine are rather young, so it would make sense that a pig's nails grow faster when it is younger. Thanks!

Travelingirl916

Cavy Slave
I cut my girls once a week. They are all adults.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
It usually depends on the pig. I don't trim babies until their nails get long enough to see the quick, but I "pretend" by holding them in the nail cutting position and tapping their nails with the clippers.

Some pigs' nails grow faster than others. I've had many Abyssinians that have very slow growth and can go a couple of months between trims, while my fat Americans seem to need trimming every few weeks.

carebear82

Cavy Slave
We just adopted 2 piggies 2 weeks ago. I see the longer hair one needs his nails trimmed. They are curving on one foot. We are just now starting to be able to hold them. How do I trim them? Can I use cat nail clippers? I trim my dogs/cats is it the same way?

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
I use cat clippers. It's basically the same as clipping other animals--you look for the quick so you won't clip too short and make them bleed.

Some pigs' nails start to curve to the side as they get older. You'll have to make sure these ones get clipped often or the nail can curve into the foot pad. The more often you clip them, the farther down the quick recedes so you can keep them trimmed just where they start to curve.

GuineaPigLova

Cavy Slave
I don't have pigs yet, but I am planning on cutting them a bit every week. When I googled it, you are suppose to have them upside down in your lap and cut them. That doesn't look like it will be comfortable so I'll probably cut them like I cut my cat's.
I have a small animal clipper, made for rabbits, cats, cavies and other animals of similar size.

Lpigger

Cavy Slave
I use regular toenail clippers.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.