Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Diet My sample food chart.

PrayerWarrior

Cavy Slave
All right, since I'm completely paranoid, I wanted to post the chart I've been keeping. Looked at Ly's sample food charts and have been altering/working with the fruits & veggies we have here.

This is a chart for 1 pig.

Tuesday pm

1/16 red pepper
½” chunk zucchini
½ grape tomato
2” chunk celery (cut up, strings removed)
1 small baby carrot

Wednesday am

1 large red leaf lettuce
½” chunk zucchini
1/16 red pepper
1/8 orange pepper
1 small strawberry

Wednesday pm

1 large leaf romaine lettuce
1/8 yellow pepper
1 grape tomato
½” chunk squash
1 small baby carrot
2 sprigs cilantro

Thursday am

2 large red leaves lettuce
1/8 orange pepper
1/8 yellow pepper
½” chunk zucchini

Thursday pm

2 large leaves romaine lettuce
2” piece celery (cut up, strings removed)
2 sprigs parsley
2 sprigs cilantro
1/8 chunk apple
1 small baby carrot

Friday am

2 large red leaves lettuce
½ grape tomato
½” chunk zucchini
1/16 orange pepper
2 sprigs cilantro

Friday pm

2 large leaves romaine lettuce
1 leaf basil
½ grape tomato
1 small baby carrot
1 chunk watermelon
1/16 red pepper

Any advice or criticism would be awesome.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
What happened to Saturday, Sunday, Monday and Tuesday morning?

I'd start with these basics daily- (one pig)
1-2 leaves of lettuce in both am and pm.
1/8 of a bell pepper (rotate colors), (either am or pm)
1-2 1/4" thick slices of zucchini cut in halves or quarters for easier eating (either am or pm)
1 grape tomato (either am or pm)
1 small/medium baby carrot (either am or pm)
Several sprigs of cilantro (either am or pm)

Then it would look something like this
AM
1-2 leaves Romaine lettuce
Zucchini
Baby carrot
Bell pepper

PM
1-2 leaves red leaf lettuce
1 cherry tomato
Several sprigs of cilantro

Then rotate things around and add them into the dailies.

One day celery
The next day Kale (if your pigs will eat it, it's great for C intake)
The next day apple
The next day squash
The next day celery
The next day Kale
The next day watermelon with rind
The next day celery, etc.

Of course you can add in two or three extra things daily that are rotational. Variety is the key to a good piggie diet. Try things they haven't had before.

My girls love artichoke so I buy one a month to feed them. They get cucumber twice per week. They get parsley occasionally, they each get a broccoli floret at least once per week. I feed kiwi once per week (that's about the only fruit they get these days other than frozen watermelon rind in the summer and an occasional apple).

GuineaAddict

Cavy Slave
They get parsley occasionally...
(that's about the only fruit they get these days other than frozen watermelon rind in the summer and an occasional apple).

I haven't really been doing this whole fresh vegetable diet for long, but I thought parsley was okay to give them every day. I've been giving it to my guinea at least 5-6 times a week, only once in those days though. Am I wrong? Also, my vet told me to feed her a piece of orange everyday (not a very big piece) to help with vitamin c. I don't give it to her everyday because often if she's had it several days in a row she won't eat it, but I do give it to her more often than not, but I do understand the acid issues. Is that wrong too? :sorry:

PrayerWarrior

Cavy Slave
We brought them home Tuesday afternoon (we also didn't have any lettuce when we brought them home; why they didn't get any Tues. pm), so I didn't feed them that morning, just evening, as it was too close to evening anyway, and I hoped their foster mom had already fed them their veggies.

Thank you so much for replying, Ly. That was very easy to decipher, and I'll try and be better now. Keep in mind we don't have all the veggies they need at the moment, and I'm working with what I've got.

I was pretty overwhelmed by the food chart you made, and that's why I looked at the food sample lists, and was working from there. Now that I understand it clearly, I'll do better.

Thank you, again.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I haven't really been doing this whole fresh vegetable diet for long, but I thought parsley was okay to give them every day. I've been giving it to my guinea at least 5-6 times a week, only once in those days though. Am I wrong? Also, my vet told me to feed her a piece of orange everyday (not a very big piece) to help with vitamin c. I don't give it to her everyday because often if she's had it several days in a row she won't eat it, but I do give it to her more often than not, but I do understand the acid issues. Is that wrong too? :sorry:

Parsley is more ok daily/every other day for younger pigs under 6 months. It's high in C but also high in calcium. Oranges should not be fed daily no matter what your vet said. Vets aren't all that versed in piggie diets. There are many veggies that have higher amounts of C in them than oranges, plus oranges are acidic and can cause mouth sores. Bell pepper, kale, and other veggies are great sources of C. Just refer to the nutrition charts for other high C veggies and how often to feed them.

PW- I guess I didn't realize that diet menu was for the past few days. I thought you were trying to set up a weekly menu. Sorry about that.

It takes a while to get a good veggie plan down. Print out my charts, stick 'em to your fridge and then you will have a handy reference as to what can be fed daily and then what to put in rotation. Just remember that even though some things say almost daily (fruits) doesn't mean they need fed daily. Also the same goes for the blue category. It says 2-4 times per week. Some things in blue can be fed 4 times a week while other things need limiting to twice per week.

modey.xx

Cavy Slave
mine LOVE parsley