Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pregnancy my pregnant baby powderpuff!!:)

haleyboecker

Cavy Slave
Hello everyone,
I think my guinea pig,powderpuff,is due pretty soon but I'm not 100% sure...I'm not surehwhen she was bred either.I have noticed that her pelvic bone has seperated and is about as big as my pinkie finger and I have read online that,that means she can be going into labor anytime from now up to 48 hrs...is this true?
-haley-

Thank you for the links I will check those out.She is all alone in her big cage so that's a plus!I didn't even want her to be pregnant but the petstore I bought her from mustve had her with another male,which is a perfect example for why adopting is way better and if I ever get another guinea pig(which I will!)I will adopt.
-haleylovespowderpuff-

if I ever get another guinea pig(which I will!)I will adopt.

I'd wait to get another guinea pig until you see for sure if your Powderpuff is pregnant, how many pups she has, and if they're male or female.

Do you have your cage baby-proofed??

Are you prepared to build a second cage in 3 weeks if some of the pups are male??

Good luck with Powderpuff! :)

Oh no I'm not getting one anytime soon sorry I mustve quoted myself wrong...and yes everything is ready but I was gonna ask about the extra cage thing can I keep the males in the same cage if I have a seperater for my c&c cage or should I just get another cage temporarily because we are only gonna keep one piggy sadly?and she is for sure pregnant and the vet said we are expecting four pups but he never gave me an estimate of when she will give birth.And thank you!:)
-haleylovespowderpuff-

It's not a good idea to keep them in the same cage and separate it because the males may break through the divider when a female goes into heat

The males are not apt to break through a divider if you zip-tie the grids. But what they will do is climb the grids to get to the females. One determined male even climbed two grids to get to a female care.

If you do just separate the cage into sections, be very sure to tie the grids firmly, and put a lid on at least the male cage, and preferably on both. The lids will have to clamp down, as a male can easily squirm out over a grid and under the lid.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.