Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Injury My poor Whistles :'( ....foot injury?

MrWhistles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I am happy to get my Piggy back. However, apparently something happened to his leg and he isn't using it. He is just dragging it around when he walks lazily in his cage. And when he walks briskly he holds his leg up.
There isn't a difference in size or color. Both if his legs are the same warmth. No swelling. I plupated, rubed, moved, etc both legs and hips. But he still complains with both of them.
I called his vet but they are full until Monday. Anything I can do to help his leg until then. Anyone know what could of happened?

Thanks!!

OK, I read the intro thread. Now I understand. If you read the link I posted, it seems like our piggies have similar problems. Daphne's foot issue is neurological; her cage is flat, so no ramps to fall off, and nothing to injure herself on. No signs of injury, either. The vet gave me the same diagnosis that I had come up with. He said it will resolve itself, or not, and there isn't very much I can do about it. I'm still going to do some physical therapy with her; stretch her leg out, stretch her foot and toes, and try to get the muscle tone to get better, or at least not get worse. Besides, I have to check her every day to make sure that the top of her foot doesn't get scraped from walking with her toes curled under. I feel so bad for her, she's still so scared when I hold her.

Thanks so much
He is holding his claws together but itsn't holding that leg close to his body.
Another thing I've noticed is the family apparently fed him too much. He is a bit over weight o_O
I don't have a scale small enough to weight him. But just by picking him up I can tell he is heavier than he should be.
What can I do to help him lose the weight? I was thinking about giving him some free roaming time more often. I've also thought to limit how much pellets he gets while still giving him unlimited amount of hay and still giving him fresh food through out the day.

Did the people who had him say ANYTHING about what had happened to his leg? is it his front or back leg? I have to say it's probably going to be a good idea to have a vet check him over, just in case it's a break that's been neglected (and I don't mean by you). How long had his leg been like this/How long have you had him back with you? My Maisie ran around her cage immediately after and the vets floor using her severely broken leg, it's amazing how their instincts kick in and they don't want to show any weakness.

Thanks so much
He is holding his claws together but itsn't holding that leg close to his body.
Another thing I've noticed is the family apparently fed him too much. He is a bit over weight o_O
I don't have a scale small enough to weight him. But just by picking him up I can tell he is heavier than he should be.
What can I do to help him lose the weight? I was thinking about giving him some free roaming time more often. I've also thought to limit how much pellets he gets while still giving him unlimited amount of hay and still giving him fresh food through out the day.

If his leg has been bothering him for a while, that might be why he is over weight, he won't want to run around as much.

Did the people who had him say ANYTHING about what had happened to his leg? is it his front or back leg? I have to say it's probably going to be a good idea to have a vet check him over, just in case it's a break that's been neglected (and I don't mean by you). How long had his leg been like this/How long have you had him back with you? My Maisie ran around her cage immediately after and the vets floor using her severely broken leg, it's amazing how their instincts kick in and they don't want to show any weakness.

The family claimed it had just happened yesterday evening. They didn't say anything about Piggy being dropped, handled, etc. They said when they came home from picking up the children from school they noticed he didn't immediately run to the cage front to greet them and went to check on him.
I asked if it was possible that any of the children held him out of their supervision they said the children aren't ever out of their site.
One thing that red flagged to me is they say their 2 year old is very involved in watching Piggy and wanting to hold him and interact with him.
I had just gotten him back yesterday evening. The father had called me Friday around 4pm to tell me about his leg issue. After hearing about it I immediately wanted him more to monitor him myself.
Would increasing his Vitamin C help him at all?

If his leg has been bothering him for a while, that might be why he is over weight, he won't want to run around as much.

I mean it didn't sound like they were over feeding him.
The way they described how they fed him it sounded almost the exact way I fed him.
They gave him regular free roaming time. Also bathed him every 2 days. But his skin looks in excellent condition o_O

I asked if it was possible that any of the children held him out of their supervision they said the children aren't ever out of their site.
One thing that red flagged to me is they say their 2 year old is very involved in watching Piggy and wanting to hold him and interact with him.

Would increasing his Vitamin C help him at all?

I'm sorry but it is impossible to say that your children are never out of your site, I have a three year old, and she is very good with a wide range of animals, I also trust her not to hurt any animal, yet I have built my cage at a height where she can look and put her fingers through the bars, but she is not able to reach right over, when she wants to interact with the piggies, either I hold them and she strokes them, or she sits beside me on the floor and gets one in her lap inside a snuggle sack.
I don't know about the vitamin C, I have very little experience, but I think the general idea with vitamin C is that it can't hurt:)

I guess you weren't able to read my introduction thread.

Many people don't have time to read all the threads on this forum. Some people specifically hang out here in the med thread. If you are referring to information on another thread, it's helpful to link to it in the first post.

If he is eating and drinking normally, he's most likely fine until Monday when you can get him into the vet.

As far as being overweight, perhaps he does need more exercise time. When his leg has recovered you might want to get him a companion. Having a companion keeps a pig active.

I guess you weren't able to read my introduction thread.

Many people don't have time to read all the threads on this forum. Some people specifically hang out here in the med thread. If you are referring to information on another thread, it's helpful to link to it in the first post.

If he is eating and drinking normally, he's most likely fine until Monday when you can get him into the vet.

As far as being overweight, perhaps he does need more exercise time. When his leg has recovered you might want to get him a companion. Having a companion keeps a pig active.

Your ight. I should of included the link to my intro thread. For some unknown reason it just did not click in my mind.
I've had the thought to get piggy a companion. But he is 3-4 years old now. Been alone all his life. I'm worried that they won't get alot very well. Also his cage is just big enough for him. I do plan on getting a larger on later on if he improves.
Hes still moving in his cage. Goes from his hut to his food. Hes not just sitting where his food is. So I'm atleast happy he is moving about.

I'm sorry but it is impossible to say that your children are never out of your site, I have a three year old, and she is very good with a wide range of animals, I also trust her not to hurt any animal, yet I have built my cage at a height where she can look and put her fingers through the bars, but she is not able to reach right over, when she wants to interact with the piggies, either I hold them and she strokes them, or she sits beside me on the floor and gets one in her lap inside a snuggle sack.
I don't know about the vitamin C, I have very little experience, but I think the general idea with vitamin C is that it can't hurt:)

I agree. I've had quite a bit of experience with children and no matter how hard you try your children always escape your eyes. Even dogs do it!!

WE HAVE PROGRESS!!!!
Came home from visiting the in laws, picked up Mr. Whistles and he opened his toes a little bit and moved his whole leg just a tad bit. All on his own!!!
I'm glad he is showing improvement :) Super glad :)

More Progress today
Whistles is showing an increase in activity level today. He is also sitting up right more often and has even attempted in climbing the cage bars.

YAY! So glad to hear there's improvement. Still get him checked by the vet, tho', just to be safe. Lil stinkers hide their injuries so well, and make it hard on us poor humans! LOL

I definitely agree with the above comments; saying your child is never out of your sight is a rediculous thing to claim.

You can buy a cheap scale just about anywhere since it only needs to weigh up to 5 lbs. Check a local donation store like Salvation Army here in the states, or Freecycle, Wal MArt, etc. You should weigh your piggies every week to make sure you catch any health problems as soon as possible. Limiting pellets is usually the first step to helping a pig reach an ideal weight. 1/8 cup per day per pig, and make sure that the pellets are KMS or Oxbow, without any colored bits, dried fruit, seeds, etc. They should also be Timothy based, not Alfalfa based-so the adult kind.

Read here: Guinea Pigs Social Life about introducing pigs. They are herd animals, and like company. I was nervous because my first pig, Daisy, had been alone all her life, and at 2 yrs old, I didn't know if she would want another pig for a friend. I decided to adopt 2 pigs together so that if they didn't get along with Daisy, I wouldn't be in the same situation again-1 lonely piggie in a cage; the 2 adopted ones would at least have each other. Typical for me, I ended up adopting 3 together instead of 2, and now all 4 are living together just fine. I had 1 incident of teeth chattering, and that was it. I'm so glad I got Daisy some company, I can really see a difference in her now that she has some friends.

Good luck, I'm curious to see how everything works out!

He is currently on this food:
(broken link removed)
When the company was Nutriphase the 1st ingredient WAS Timothy meal. It is now Alfalfa meal. Looks like I'll have to find him different pelleted food. Glad I didn't buy a who new bag last night.

I will still be taking him to the vet just in case. I also noticed that the hair on that leg is much more disturbed than the rest of his hair. Like he grooms it or licks it often.

When you are choosing food, notice the amount you are supposed to feed. Both of the ones you have listed are a quarter to a half a cup. Oxbow is an eight to a quarter, so price-wise it's actually probably cheaper in the long run. We started with the "cheaper" stuff and have moved to oxbow since then.

As for the foot thing, one of our pigs had a foot problem about 2 or so months ago, no break or anything. Just stopped using it, limped/hobbled. He was on pain meds for about a week and in about 6 days, he finally started using his foot again, and has been fine since then.

Thanks
Earlier today he has actually started using his foot. Only about 80% tho. He is walking with it, putting weight on it. But his toes still stay closed and he doesn't bend his foot yet. Or maybe he was bending his foot and I couldn't see it.

I'm beginning to wonder if he was sleeping on that foot too long and with the added possibility that he is a bit overweight might of added to him not having feeling in his nerves??

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.