Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Injury My poor baby

mommykingx3

Cavy Slave
Just discovered that Molly who is only 6 weeks old has a scratch on her eye. It wasn't there this morning. She is sleeping a little more than usual and her eye is watery and cloudy. My poor little girl! She is still eating great and still purred a lot during cuddles. But I am worried sick. I don't get paid until tomorrow and it is a very small check so pray that she gets better and that the vet will work with me. Thank you.

Hopefully it will be just a scratch, and with some eye ointment she will be good in no time.

I wouldn't wait, though. The longer you wait the worse it can be, and it's even possible for the pig to lose sight in the eye.

I know But there isn't a vet open in this
Small town until Monday. But, I know several teachers at my church who have piggies, maybe one of them has ointment or someone who I can tomorrow. Idk I just keep praying. Thanks.

My piggy had really bad eye issues, he had bleeding behind his eye AND majorly scratched his cornea. The drops to heal the scratch weren't terribly expensive and he healed up perfectly well. Do NOT put anything other than saline on it - contact solution or other human eye drops have chemicals that aren't good for little piggies (of course if you have a friend who has prescreption piggy eyedrops that's not what I'm talking about). Praying for your little piggy, take care of him and hopefully he will be on the mend SOON! I know waiting until Monday for a vet to be open is FRUSTERATING (done that before!!)

Artificial tears will be fine for your pig's eye, and will keep the eyeball moistened. Do get vet treatment as soon as you can, as eye problems are painful, and can get serious in a hurry.

My piggy had really bad eye issues, he had bleeding behind his eye AND majorly scratched his cornea. The drops to heal the scratch weren't terribly expensive and he healed up perfectly well. Do NOT put anything other than saline on it - contact solution or other human eye drops have chemicals that aren't good for little piggies (of course if you have a friend who has prescreption piggy eyedrops that's not what I'm talking about). Praying for your little piggy, take care of him and hopefully he will be on the mend SOON! I know waiting until Monday for a vet to be open is FRUSTERATING (done that before!!)

I disagree about using saline solution. My vet said it's drying to the eye and with an eye injury, I'd be concerned it could worsen it. My vet gave me Butler Eye Irrigating Solution (sterile opthimal) which is what he said should be used for animals. He also cleaned out the eye and gave me an antibiotic eye ointment. I'd get her to an emergency vet if you can because it could worsen if you wait. Eye injuries can be serious.

Molly looks so much better this morning. Thank you Jesus. Hopefully it will to continue to improve. I will post an update when we get back from church. She was wheeking loudly for her morning veggies and ate a lot.

Molly looks so much better this morning. Thank you Jesus. Hopefully it will to continue to improve. I will post an update when we get back from church. She was wheeking loudly for her morning veggies and ate a lot.

I'd still get her into a vet. Whatever caused the injury could still be lodged in her eye. Anytime there's cloudiness, a vet visit is in order.

Thank you and I
Am consulting a vet tomorrow as soon as they open. I just got home and I am fixing to check on them and give em veggies I will update everyone shortly

Thank you and I
Am consulting a vet tomorrow as soon as they open. I just got home and I am fixing to check on them and give em veggies I will update everyone shortly

I hope all goes well at the vet tomorrow! Can't wait for an update!!

You can always look into Care Credit if you can't afford to pay up front at the vet. But a word of caution - don't put the WHOLE payment on there.

I hope she is doing better. I friended you.

What did the vet say?

Hopefully the vet was able to give you some medication. I had this issue recently with my cat...unfortunately the feral one that can't be brought to the vet, so I had to spring for a house call. I'll give my husband lots of credit. He risked life and limb to get medicine into that old bugger's eye and it healed nicely. I'm sure your piggy will be much more cooperative.

Definitely get her to the vet. One of my pigs had what started as a scratch on his eye and ended up losing his sight in that eye. We did get some ointment for the eye but it just never healed.

Sorry it took so long. Been super busy getting supplies for my cage build tomorrow. We are going from a 2x3 with a 1x1 upstairs to a 2x4 with an upstairs. I haven't decided quite how to do the upstairs yet. But anyway on to Molly. By last night she looked perfect. And she is back to her usual hyper self. Honestly I forgot to call the vet. I think I over reacted or maybe it was a minor thing. Cause she looks great. You can't even tell anything happened. About the credit
Care thing I am defiantly looking into it and I am going to find a vet to take them to for a check-up. They are getting kinda chunky. Lol. But I defiantly need advice for my big build tomorrow!!!

Oh and they are very much enjoying their new pipe. I got a four-inch thin wall PVC pipe for them today. Needless to say it was a huge hit!

Didn't you say the eye was cloudy?

I'd still have a vet look at that eye. They'll put drops in the eye and examine it with a special light to see if there's any damage to the eye. You might have something festering in there and waiting might just end up costing him the sight in that eye or even worse. I never take any chances when it comes to an eye that's cloudy; even if it seems to be clearing up.

thanks guys i will do that

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.