Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fighting My Pigs Won't Get Along =/

Mrs_Ames

Cavy Slave
Little backstory: I have 4 males. 2 in each cage. I have 2 pigs that get along great, they are perfect. My other two have always got along, until now. They are around 6 and 7 months old, both Abby's. They have 2 of everything (pigloo has two enterances), 2 water, 2 bowls.

So lately Biscuit (he is the youngest of the two) has been chasing Chip around. Lots of rumbling, teeth chattering and fighting. They have been rolling around fighting (no blood though). It's to the point where Biscuit starts chasing Chip and he just runs and JUMPS over my grids of the cage. I have no idea how he jumps so high! They are just normal in height, normal grids for c&c cage. He just runs and climbs/jumps right over! I will put him back inside and he just escapes again. He is avoiding the situation, and I don't blame him!

So my question: Should I keep them together? Right now I have the cage divided with grids. Biscuit is wheeking for Chip. Chip seems very happy. He hasn't jumped out at all, he is happy not being bothered. Is it OK to keep them like this? Should I wait until puberity is past and re-introduce? Thanks!

Chip is the mostly black and Biscuit is the brown and white.

[GuineaPigCages.com] My Pigs Won't Get Along =/
[GuineaPigCages.com] My Pigs Won't Get Along =/[GuineaPigCages.com] My Pigs Won't Get Along =/

Unless blood is shed, do not separate them. The last thing you want to do is unnesecarily put them away from each other, as re introducing will then be made much harder.

Also, the Pig jumping out of your cage: How high is it? I find it hard to believe that if your cage was raised at all that the Pig isn't hurt. Is it on the floor or elevated at all?

I put a divider in so that Chip will stop jumping out to get away from Biscuit, they can see each other. My cage is on the floor. He runs and climbs/jumps right over the grids. When I put them together he does that right away. He won't stay in the cage with Biscuit.

There is no blood shed but they roll around like cats and dogs.

oh, i feel your pain! :ashamed: puberty just stinks!! i had 2 bonded boys, but once puberty hit one became the big old bully and terrified the other. by the way, you may not see blood, but especially since they're abbys, make sure you check through their fur to the skin, especially on their butt area. i thought there was no bloodshed either, and then i saw all sorts of bite marks on the one pig's butt. it's very hard to just sit there and listen to/watch one pig really being terrified by being bullied. in time, they will either settle down and the frequency of the attacks will lessen, or the picked on pig starts to fight back, or there finally is bloodshed. i think, given what you said it's too early to tell what will happen. as hard as it is, give it more time for them try to work it out if they can. keep some sort of cover on the cage. no hideys with only one entrance/exit. one of my pig uses the sleeping sac as a safe place. he runs in, then turns around and feels safely snuggled in. he can't get attacked from behind, and his face is out front for protectio. keep us posted!

Like Jacqueline said-- You may not be able to see the blood. You can trim her hair, if that will help, but make sure you check when they have a bad scuffle. Really, they will work it out much easier than if you step in and divide them before anything bad happens.

I thought about putting a top on the cage some how. I guess I just feel bad like I am leaving him trapped, especially knowing they are going to get into it. He just avoids the argument by escaping. I guess I can only hope that if he can't jump out that they work sort things out. =/ Such a hard thing! Darn puberty! Chip seems sooo happy alone. Ugh! :(

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.