Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Won't Eat My pigs aren't drinking !

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
I adopted two guinea pigs (neutered male and female) saturday morning, and since they haven't been drinking water or finishing their pellets.
They do get a significant amount of veggies every morning and afternoon, and they always gobble those up, along with a few handfuls of hay each. They aren't finishing their pellets though! I give them 1/4 of a cup, and only half is gone by the next morning.
I refill the water bottle one every morning and they never drink any.
They are a year old, and the male weighs 1025 g, the female 1075 g.

should I be worried?

good for you for being such a diligent and caring new owner! my suggestions would be to weigh them daily to make sure they're not losing weight. give them UNLIMITED hay, not just a few handfuls. pellets are the LEAST important part of their diet. you might want to try to wet down the veggies before you give it to them - any extra water on the veggies will help to keep them hydrated. since you just got them saturday, they're probably still adjusting to their new home - they're very sensitive critters - it can take them some time to feel comfortable. just keep doing your best and watching! im sure others will have other ideas!

I'll start weighing daily :) I do wet their veggies down nicely before hand because I'm concerned they aren't drinking! And they do get unlimited hay, I have a nice big cereal box full of hay with wholes cut out. I have to refull it twice a day, and they eat half a box, which is a few large handfuls per pig :p They alwyays have hay available. I figuired they're still adjusting, but I don't want them to become malnourished our anything. Thanks :)

I'm also going to give them pellets in a shallower bowl, I think my current bowl might be too high for them. If they eat them all up after giving it to them in a shorter bowl then that problem is solved!

you might also want to check out the diet and nutrition forum for other ideas, tips, etc. ❤️ good luck

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.