Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Aggression My pigs are fighting all of a sudden. They're never done this before. HELP!

danniduck

Cavy Slave
I'm sorry if I'm posting this wrong. I don't really ever use forums and this is the first time I'm posting my own topic/discussion/thread/whatever.

To make my life easier I'm just going to copy and paste what I wrote on Tumblr. Usually I just ask any questions I have there but I'm really concerned about this and really want help.

So, I got my pigs (four of them) all at the same time. The thing is two (Snow White and Annabella) were originally my sisters and the ones I got (Inara and River) were held in the back for me. I’m not really sure if they were ever in the same cage as babies. We got them in August 2011 and Snow White and Annabella were together in one room and River and Inara were together in another room. They were in tiny petstore cages. In January of 2012 my sister wanted a hamster so she gave her guinea pigs to me. I’m glad because she wasn’t paying any attention to them and it was just terrible. I was scared that Snow White and Annabella would cause trouble because they weren’t used to other pigs or people. They barely got along with each other never mind pigs they’ve never really came in contact with. Snow White was the queen of the cage and Annabella was just there. So I had their petstore cages on opposite sides of the same room. I didn’t really know what to do for floor time because I didn’t have enough room for two pens. I decided to try and put them together and see what happened. After a lot of sniffing and nudging they actually started to play together! So everyday they were together for floor time. They just chilled and rolled the hay ball around like happy little loving piggies. Eventually to make my life easier I put their pet store cages next to each other. They would try to bite through the bars to get to each other. I felt bad. I knew a petstore cage big enough for four piggies doesn’t exist. So I begged my mom to let me make a C&C cage. Finally she said yes so with the minimal space I had I built a C&C cage and put them together. They were SO happy. They were like totally knew pigs. Snow White stopped being a bully and Annabella actually got some pep in her step. Inara and River seemed to like the space too. They even kind of “partner swapped”. River spent more time with Annabella and Inara spent more time with Snow White. They still all played together too though. They’re always together and have never fought. Little squeals here and there because someone stepped on someone or someone stole someone’s veggies, yeah, that happened. They never fought to the point where I had to separate them. The travel cage I use to bring them to the vet is tiny and they don’t even fight when they’re in there! So the last few days things have been different. Annabella has been keeping to herself and sleeping a lot. Whenever I go near the cage she jumps right to me. Usually she’s very friendly toward other pigs, playful, and energetic. She usually hates being picked up and held. At first I thought maybe she was sick or something. So I watched her close but out of the cage she seemed fine. It’s been hot here lately so I just assumed her tiredness was because it was so hot (in the 70s!). (My grandparents are very strict about air conditioning so until they give me the okay to start using mine all I’m allowed to use are fans. It sucks but sadly I have to listen to their rules.) I saw Snow White try to hump Annabella a few times. I figured she was in heat and it would be over in a few days. Than the other day I saw what was happening. Annabella was laying there minding her own business and all of a sudden Snow White just came over and nudged her until she got scared and ran away. Than a while later (or possibly the next day, I can’t remember) River was upstairs eating. She ran all the way downstairs just to make Annabella get scared and run. Than she went upstairs to finish eating. I haven’t seen Inara pick on her. My mom really enjoys giving them their veggies so she’s usually the one who does it. Now, side story. I have PTSD and don’t really sleep well at night. Last night I didn’t fall asleep until 7am. Mom woke me up at 10am. So you know what she had to say had to be important. Back on topic. Mom woke me up this morning and said that the other pigs weren’t letting Annabella eat. I figured she was still getting hay and pellets because I’ve seen her eat that. Mom said she looked like she was starving. I got up and checked on her. She was standing by the hay rack so I’d assume she got to eat some hay. She wasn’t plopped on the floor like she was dying or anything. So thank God for that. I built a tiny 1 grid by 2 grid temporary cage. She’s in their right now with hay, pellets, veggies, and a water bottle. I really don’t want to have to do this 2-3 times a day for her to eat. Does anyone know why they might be picking on her? Could it be the heat or maybe they’re in heat? Annabella found a pretty comfy spot of the cage and that’s usually where they kick her out from. Do you think I should add more couches? Annabella won’t commit piggy suicide because of the bullying, right? I know that sounds funny but you guys get what I’m saying, right? I’d always get compliments from people about how nice my pigs were to each other. This is totally not like them. This sucks.

Can you please provide more info.

1) What size is your C&C cage?
2) What ages are your 4 pigs?
3) How many food dishes, hay piles/racks, & water bottles do you have in your cage?
4) What do you feed and what is your feeding schedule?
5) Do they still get floor time together?
6) Do you weight them weekly?

Sometimes when a pig is sick, others would pick on the sick one. Are you weighing them? Is Annabella losing any weight?

I saw the pic of your cage on Tumblr. A 2x3 cage (even with the 2nd level) is too small for 4 pigs. The preferred size would be 2x6. Try to expand the cage and see if it helps. If you do not have the space to expand, keep them separated into 2 pairs. Keep Annabella with the pig who gets along with her the most.

The pigloos are also taking up too much space. Switch to something they can run through, and cannot block each other from getting in and out, like fleece forest, fleece tent, tunnels or foot stools.

Fleece Forest
[GuineaPigCages.com] My pigs are fighting all of a sudden. They're never done this before. HELP!

Fleece Tent and Tunnels
[GuineaPigCages.com] My pigs are fighting all of a sudden. They're never done this before. HELP!

Foot Stool

Last edited:
1) What size is your C&C cage?
2 grids by 3 grids. 2 levels.

2) What ages are your 4 pigs?
I got my pigs from pet store so I can't be 100% sure. We were told they were about 3 months old when we got them. We got them in August of 2010.

3) How many food dishes, hay piles/racks, & water bottles do you have in your cage?
There's 4 food dishes, 2 big water bottles, and a hay rack. I usually give them a hay ball once or twice a day to play with too.

4) What do you feed and what is your feeding schedule?
I use oxbow hay and pellets. I give them pellets in the morning when I wake up. At night before I go to bed I dump those pellets out and give them fresh ones. I make sure there's hay in their cage at all times. I'd say on average I fill up the hay rack 3 times a day. I give them a little bit of veggies in the morning and the rest at night. I try to give them a variety so what veggies I'm giving them just depends on what I get when I'm at the store. I'd say carrots, parsley, kale, collard greens, celery, and green peppers are what they've had the most of in their lives. Oh, and I fill up their water bottles when I do their pellets.

5) Do they still get floor time together?
Yep. They usually have about 8-10 hours of floor time a day. Even with the upper floor my cage is small so I don't like keeping them in their. They're only in their cage when I'm sleeping. If I have to go out during the day or I'm busy with something I put them in a big pen.

6) Do you weight them weekly?
No. I know River is the biggest, followed by Snow White, Inara, and Annabella in that order. Should I start weighing them? Could you recommend a good scale to use?

Your cage is awesome! I love it!

I don't leave the pigloos in there all the time. Actually, they're rarely in there. XD I have little beds that I made for them to sleep on. There's also random fleece blankets for them to hide under. Those are the only things that I always leave in their cage. They're their favorites. I do like the foot stool idea though! I think my pigs would love that!

I know my cage is small. I'm working on getting a bigger one. (I have to redo my whole room first and get a new bed and blah blah blah.) I should have the new cage up in about a month. My pigs don't really use their cage much. They're out of their cage 8-10 hours a day. They're only in their cage when I'm asleep. I have a pen for when I'm out of the house or to busy to keep a close eye on them. Once I get the new cage I'm going to get better things for them to hide/play in. My plan is to have a 3X6 cage with two floors.

I don't weigh my pigs but I can tell Annabella has been gaining weight. She used to be REALLY skinny and tiny. She's been putting on weight lately though! :)

Hi is it possible that your little piggie is unwell and maybe thats why they are bulling her? perhaps you could take her to a vet and have her checked out as (although im not an expert on piggies I know with other animals ive had in the past ,that if they're not well others in the pack will pick on them)its just a thought as i say im not an expert on piggies Good luck I hope you will be able to find the reason or maybe keep them as you did with just 2 together at one time.

Yeah, they go to the vet every 3 months. They're do back soon. I'll have the vet look them over then. Thanks! :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.