Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Biting My piggy bite me

ArtiWho

Cavy Slave
Klaus is almost 5 months old and he bite me. I wanted to take my piggies out, I took Ludwig out first because he is really tame and nice, so he just lie still while I pick him up and out of the cage, occasionally he scratches, but he is really gentle. So took Ludwig out and I tried to pick up Klaus, he is more skittish and usually run away from me, he ran away and I corned him so I was picking him up and he bite me, it didn't hurt much but it was an awful experience (I cried out of impression not of pain), I tried to pick him up again and he teeth chattered at me, finally I took him out and while I was holding him he was well behaved but now I am afraid that he will bite me every time I pick him. Is this a serious sign of aggression? Is this normal? What should I do?

There's always a chance he has mites so I'd watch for any signs of scratching. Guinea pigs with mites bite sometimes because it's painful for them. On the other hand, he might be afraid when you go to pick him up. Try gently petting the bridge of his nose before you go to grab him and give him a chance to see that you mean no harm. He might relax and allow you to pick him up. There are some guinea pigs that just like to nip. You just have to be careful picking them up.

Teeth chattering just means he isn't happy with what you are doing.
I suggest handling him more often to get him used to you picking him up. Cornering him might of scared him and made him feel like he had to defend himself. Try to not corner him.
If he runs into hidys pick them up, don't reach in to them.

Also HOW are you picking them up means everything. Watch this video on how to pick them up.
[video=youtube_share;u4nUFnHvv_4]

If he doesn't have mites, it definitely takes practice combined with a calm technique. My piggy Borat is laid back and easy to pick up, but my other piggy Amy is very high strung and has chomped my husband a couple of times. He's high strung himself when handling the pigs, which rubs off on her. He's grabby, so she nips him. I approach her very slowly and calmly and pet her a bit before picking her up, and she's fine. When he approaches her that way, he doesn't have any problems either. Practice being slow and patient and just pet your pig sometimes rather than picking him up. If you're calm, it will help to calm him, too. He may just have a higher strung personality that needs to be handled with care.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.