Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior My piggie gave me a scare!

cavyluvr

Cavy Slave
Ok so I think it was like the day before yesterday I came into the room where my piggies live and usually Lizzie comes right out to greet me and Marie follows a little later when the food comes out because she is a bit more skittish. They were both sleeping when I came in but Marie lifted her head and acknowledged me being there but Lizzie just sat there and didn't move. It seemed like she was just starring into space. I made some noise by tapping on the plastic bin where I keep their hay and nothing happened except for marie being a little surprised so I very gently moved the cage grids around slighty shaking or moving the cage and still nothing so then I started to get a little worried. I'm thinking well she can't be dead could she? I mean she's healthy and she's not even 2 years old yet so I went in to pet her and she just casually lifted her head as if to say why did you wake me up? So I guess she was just in a really deep sleep. Is that normal for piggies to fall into that deep of a sleep with their eyes wide open? I mean I know they do usually sleep with their eyes some what open mine usually close them a little.

IlovemyRhino

Cavy Slave
I'm not sure about them falling into a deep sleep because I just got my first piggie about 2 months ago and my second 1 month ago but that would've scared me too!
I hope your piggie is ok and not sick or anything.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
A very deep sleep can be a sign of heart problems, but isn't necessarily so. Keep an eye on her to see if she's short of breath after any activity, or if you hear any kind of hooting noise when she's breathing.

Are you sure she can hear?

ellisa

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I've noticed that as Pedro got older he sleeps deeper than when he was little. Either that or he just cared less to come over and see me. I've had a few scares when I could come over to the cage and he would be asleep in his hidey and not wake up. I would even lift the hidey and he still wouldn't wake up :eye-poppi
I wave food in front of his face and then he eventually wakes up to snatch it.
I talked about it with my vet and he's very healthy, so we think he may have some hearing loss with his old age, or he's just a lazy old man lol

cavyluvr

Cavy Slave
She doesn't show any signs of illness she eats like a horse,is very active in her cage and drinks plenty of water. When she runs around she doesn't show any signs be short of breath and I never hear any noise when she is asleep. I don't think it's hearing loss either because she wheeks as loud as she possibly can when I shake a bag of veggies or scoop out their daily pellets among other noises that she thinks mean food is coming. Like I said she isn't even two years old so she's not very old. None the less I will keep an eye on her just to be safe. Thanks for all your replies:)

suzilovespiggie

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
My rabbit Jamie, does this. Sleeps very deep. Has given me a scare more than once.

guineapigs2468

Cavy Slave
Aslong as she seems happy and healthy she should be fine. However if it worries you maybe get her checked by a vet to see if she is ok.

cavyluvr

Cavy Slave
She hasn't done it since then and she seems fine. When I took care of the this morning everything seemed normal. However if she does show any other signs of be sick I might send my vet an email and see what she thinks. Thanks again for all your helpful replies

guineapigs2468

Cavy Slave
something similar to this happened with my two piggies. However my guinea pig had been to the vet and she had this eye cream, her eye started to clear up and look like it was healing.But sadly she had passed away,and i still miss her. :(

Kelly91513

Cavy Slave
My momma pig does this once in a while. I know she is sleeping cause I'll watch her closely and I'll see her ears twitch or her nose wiggles. But the first time she did this I thought she was dead. Her eyes were open and I even petted her head and she didn't move at first. So I moved her house to pick her up and she finally moved and look at me like "what the heck, mom". So I put her back down. She was breathing fine and not making any weird noises so I just think she was in a deep sleep. She hears fine and is only about 10 months old. So I know what you are talking about.

PassionPiggies

Cavy Slave
My one piggie sleeps with her eyes open. It is very freaky. She lays on her side with her eyes open. Scared me the first several times. She doesn't seem to be in a very deep sleep, but definately asleep as her little ears twitch. She is perfectly healthy, loves to run around, everything like that. It's just something weird she does, I don't know exactly why so I consider her a unique piggie.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
She's far from unique in sleeping with her eyes open. Almost all, if not completely all, pigs do that in new situations. When they feel more secure, they start closing their eyes.

cavyluvr

Cavy Slave
[MENTION=20498]guineapigs2468[/MENTION] I'm so sorry about your loss. Lizzie's eyes seem fine so I don't think it's that and she seems fine now she was sleeping this morning but acknowledged me when I came up to the cage as if she was saying oh hi your here to bring me my breakfast. Again I'm very sorry about your loss.

guineapigs2468

Cavy Slave
My piggie was ill before what happened, like you said your pigs eyes are fine so i thinks your piggie is fine. your piggie might just trust you more now so she might not mind sleeping while your there.

cavyluvr

Cavy Slave
That's probably what it was. She has gotten pretty comfortable around me especially when it come ot me petting her in the cage.

allmypiggies

Cavy Slave
Ever since i got my pig, about 3 months ago, he has slept with his eyes close and would twitch in his sleep. He always scares me, but im a little used to it now