Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Chewing my piggie bites clothes is this normal?

guineapigs2468

Cavy Slave
When i get my pig out for lap time straight away she will start chewing on my clothes. If i put my finger by her when she is in the cage or on my lap she will lick and then bite but she has not drew blood. I wanted to know if anyone knows what this means? Is she stressed? When i get her out i only stroke her on the side because she headbutts my hand if i touch her head and kicks out if i touch her back. I read up that if they chew on clothes it might mean they need to go the toilet so they want you to put them back in the cage. however she starts pulling my clothes as soon as i get her out. I dont want to upset her i want her to be happy. She will wheek for her veggies really loud and she will come out to see me when i have food. Am i upsetting her when i get her out? sorry this is long.

I find that my pigs like to chew/lick my fingers, hands, and arms sometimes. I believe this is because there is some food particles (which can't be seen) still hanging on to the skin. I also think they like the naturally occuring salt on human skin. Two of my piggies also like to chew on my watch and bracelet- both of which are metal, I discourage them doing this but whenever given the chance they chew.

Is your piggie young? She could just be scared of being held. I wrap my very skiddish pig in a blanket and she calms down alot. She seems to be scared of being "exposed" and wants to feel safe and protected.

Well she is my oldest pig out of the 5, she is an aby breed. I cant remember her exact age but i know she is younger than a year old. I tried the towel trick when she was a bit younger but it didnt really work with her because she disliked the towel and prefered nothing to be touching her back. I think because she is an aby breed it is also more difficult because of the rosettes in her fur. i think she does trust me for food but if i have no food to give she will run and hide. I have watched to see if she goes the toilet when i put her back in her cage, but she will go and hide somewhere like in a hidey house, so im not sure whether she realised i would put her back in her cage when she chewed on my clothes,so rather than needing the toilet i think she just chews my clothes to make me put her back.

Don't let them nibble on your hands. It's a bad habit for them to get into, and just increases the likelihood that you will get bitten.

Try feeding her some treats while she's in your lap to discourage her from nibbling on your hands.

The discomfort when you touch her back, and indeed her nibbling in your clothes, may mean she has mites. Pigs with mites don't like to be handled -- it's painful for them. It won't hurt to treat her, and may help. You can order the ivermectin to treat her and the syringes to measure with from (broken link removed). The instructions are at www.guinealynx.info/parasites.html. Let us know if you need help calculating the dosages.

Edited to add: You can only treat her with ivermectin if she weighs more than 350 grams. If she's less than that, you'll need to take her to a vet.

Last edited:
I will try and get her treated for mites then. Is there any other signs I should look out for. Also I will weigh her first. I was hoping she may just dislike being stroked but if she has mites I will try and get her some medication I will look at the websites now thanks.

My guinea pig Lizzie does this after I've been holding her for a little while so I'm guessing it means she wants to be put back. She doesn't actually chew on my clothes she just bites them and pulls on them she also does this after a bath when I have her wrapped to a towel. I think when Lizzie bites my clothes it either means she's hungry or has to go potty. You could try giving your piggie a some of her favorite veggie and see if that makes her stop because if she's doing it right when you pick her up then I don't think she has to go potty. if you use cuddle cups,or little burrow bag type things you could try holding her in that to make her more comfortable.

Oh god, I have two guineas out of ten that will chew EVERYTHING. When I first got my Errol, I didn't realize he was a jumper.. and he jumped out of his quarantine cage sometime at night.. peed and pooped all over the (new) carpet, chewed all the wires such as the lamp and sewing machine wires...Chewed though the plastic to the hay... and ate a few holes out of a jacket I threw in that room that night.
Needless to say, his cage has a top to it.
Might I add, he jumped in and out of the other piggies cage (Thank god all my males are on the floor and females are on a table. Don't need any babies!) And would tease the hell out of them.

So when I hold him, I use old towels and try to distract him with veggies!

One of mine does, and for no apparent reason either. Honestly, she should probably not be alive from the things she has gotten into. She has eaten plastic bags, coroplast, plugged IN vacuum cord, my dad's cell phone charger, cat food, popcorn, the corner of my phone, my hair, carpet strands, etc, etc I know it probably sounds like I don't pay any attention to her whatsoever, but she's sneaky and gets things I had absolutely no idea were there... I'm sure most piggy owners can relate to that haha.
As you have already read they sometimes nibble you if they want to go home and don't want to potty on you. If she is new to you, she may just be nervous. I had a pig who was given to me because of that, her owners were afraid she'd bite their kids. She never bit me, but would lightly nip and also did the head lifting thing. In time she got calmer with each lap time and now has a loving home without children.
Just try and hold her as much as possible in short time spurts. You can even wrap her up in a blanket or towel and let her explore you at her own pace.
And as far as the kicking back when you touch near her hind end, she may just not like it and is telling you stop. My pig throws a "tantrum" if i touch her bum, and gets upset with me. Just avoid doing it and she won't be bothered.

oh ok so there is a chance she doesent have mites,i am still goingto look into that just incase. thanks for all the replies.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.