Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

My pet store experience

MCR_Rox

Cavy Slave
I had a local petstore to buy supplies from. they didn't have live animals for sale until now. I went in Sunday to pick up bedding and there were two rabbits and two guinea pigs. I asked about the guinea pigs and was told by the owner that they were a male and a female. I asked about pregnancy but he told me that they were too young to reproduce at seven weeks of age. I suggested that they could in fact, reproduce at a younger age than that but he said no, couldn't happen. Grrrrrrrrrrrr.

Time to find a new place to buy my dog food and bedding. Do I need to tell you that these piggies were shipped in, were being housed in an aquarium with no shelter and only pellets to eat? I wanted to get the female out of there in hopes that she was not yet pregnant by her brother, but I knew that if I bought her, the owner would think "Wow, these things are selling like hotcakes! Better order more!" :sad:

Maybe you could ask your vet if they could maybe tell the store that they breed at earlier age or something. Is the store a chain store? If not, you may be able to persuade them to do stuff differently

salana

Lethal Guru
Cavy Slave
Tell them why you're taking your business elsewhere.

seagirl96

Cavy Slave
Good ideas Landhermie & Salana. This is a small new pet store, one owner, one store, and he had been very nice. I've copied the Guinealynx information and will give it to him and explain why I will have to take my business elsewhere in future.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.