Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

My other mouth to feed

dropping_head

Cavy Slave
I had a African ciclid (fish) live in a 20 galon tank for about 9 years.
When the fish died I told my mother I was thinking of getting a small salimander to go into it, and set it up with a little rock cliff. Of course
I wanted something that doesn't eat meat. Well, ever since I got married
and moved out, my mother has been going over board with the presents. She took my idea and ran with it. Straight to a pet shop. I guess I was thinking of it anyway, because where else could I find weird little salamander lizards? Or beautiful aquarium fish? But I don't go anymore. I went last time in time to see a snake getting fed and it scared me against ever going back. :grumpy: Anyway. My mother calls me up and tells me she found the perfect lizard for me. It is pretty and green, only eats veggetables, and the people told her that it could live in that 20 gallon tank forever. :eye-poppi
I said thank you and took the baby iguana in, and emidiatly bought him a 6 foot reptile cage, and three large heat lights. When I read up on these lizards I discovered he will get possibly 10 feet long, and be possibly a very dangerous animal if I don't end up taming him. And he can only be tamed once he is big and mean enough to attack, so this is going to be tricky. He likes the pigs. He climbs up and watches them eat. When he has escaped in the past I have found him laying above the cage looking down at them.

levi1.jpg

Last edited:

andreanne1422

Cavy Slave
Did he get into there cage?

Funnygpigs

Cavy Slave
Hey, I found a great site for feeding and care: http://www.iguana-news.com/
Make sure that the Iguana does not/can not hurt the pigs. Congrats on your new edition to your family! :0)

dropping_head

Cavy Slave
He wouldn't get into their cage, he's a jumpy sort of animal right now.
Like a wild rabbit, he don't want anything around him, he gets spooked and zip he's gone.

Where he is a veggie eating lizard, he shouldn't feel compelled to attack the pigs. He honestly just seems to like to watch them. But he is very safe now, when he is larger I will probably have him his own bedroom. :)

stitsy&codyPig

Cavy Slave
I have had iguanas it the past. They are great pets and you can start taming them as soon as you get them. My uncle has a 5 foot long iguana and it is so sweet. They are awesome pets if they are tamed at a young age and cared for right. Make sure you do not feed him iceberg lettuce. Most green iguanas grow to about 6-7 feet. They can become so tame as to ride around your shoulder.They really like to eat leaf lettuces,apples,carots,cucumber. They are such cool pets really they are just make sure you start taming it now and he will be a great pet. Oh also make sure he gets enough calcium, you can buy powdered calcium for reptiles at a pet store. You just sprinkle it on top his food.
I hope some of this helps you. I love iguanas very much and I think once you get used to him you will too.

dropping_head

Cavy Slave
stitsy&codyPig said:
I have had iguanas it the past. They are great pets and you can start taming them as soon as you get them. My uncle has a 5 foot long iguana and it is so sweet. They are awesome pets if they are tamed at a young age and cared for right. Make sure you do not feed him iceberg lettuce. Most green iguanas grow to about 6-7 feet. They can become so tame as to ride around your shoulder.They really like to eat leaf lettuces,apples,carots,cucumber. They are such cool pets really they are just make sure you start taming it now and he will be a great pet. Oh also make sure he gets enough calcium, you can buy powdered calcium for reptiles at a pet store. You just sprinkle it on top his food.
I hope some of this helps you. I love iguanas very much and I think once you get used to him you will too.

He is about a foot and a half now, and crazy strong.
When I catch him to let him bath, he leaves very long jagged
gashes across my wrists, and he writhes and wants to kill me.
I am sure he is at least 8 months old. I hope it gets easier.
He's even hissing now.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.