Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Rabbits My old girl Penny is home!!

Our buns have something like that, except its made from woven straw and they pull out these little carrot toys. They LOVE ripping it up!

Sadly my grandad isn't coping well with-out Penny there.
He hasn't gone out to his garden since I've brought her home...she made him get up and feel like he needed to live...he cared for her and feed her and kept her cage clean..

We never knew it'd affect him so much...I feel so bad for taking my Penny girl home...we're thinking about adopting him a cat or another rabbit to keep him company....I just don't know.
She was there for him when he went through Cancer and he would always talk to her...when he doesn't talk to anyone else, I just don't know what I can do for him...she was there for him and I took her away with-out thinking how much she meant to him..I thought he'd be okay with-out her but hes not.

Sadly my grandad isn't coping well with-out Penny there.
He hasn't gone out to his garden since I've brought her home...she made him get up and feel like he needed to live...he cared for her and feed her and kept her cage clean..

We never knew it'd affect him so much...I feel so bad for taking my Penny girl home...we're thinking about adopting him a cat or another rabbit to keep him company....I just don't know.
She was there for him when he went through Cancer and he would always talk to her...when he doesn't talk to anyone else, I just don't know what I can do for him...she was there for him and I took her away with-out thinking how much she meant to him..I thought he'd be okay with-out her but hes not.

How well would you cope without Penny & Kenny? It would be more meaningful to give her back to him, and adopt two more bunnies for yourself, rather than give him a pet he might not bond with in the same way. Get your mum's thoughts on the matter too. I think the kindest option is to return her, given you know she will be in a good home, and can visit her whenever you like. You could even get your grandad a bigger outdoor hutch for her and Kenny, if you're worried that she won't get regular floor time.

Trust me, there are A LOT of awesome bunnies at the SPCA ( I was there again this weekend, lol) so if you want to adopt two more, you will find no trouble with that :)

Edit: These two buns were my favourite <3 <3 <3 from today [but boy/girl pairing is usually easiest]->
https://www.spca.org.nz/Adoption/details.asp?dID=2150
https://www.spca.org.nz/Adoption/details.asp?dID=2152

Last edited:
We're going to talk to grandad....Is the BIG black boy still there?

Kenny wouldn't be any good there as there are lots of cats and he'd be outside.

Ah okay, well they're so recently bonded that it shouldn't be too hard on each bunny to be separated. Not sure about the big black guy, but there were no single large black bunnies today. Two flemish giants are in the holding/ward area though (if you can wait, flemish giants are FULL of personality, and my favourite bunny breed.. they're pretty good at holding their own against cats too). But Edward is pretty big, and he was super friendly- he was insisting on pats the whole time I was cleaning out his cage, and then stuck his nose through the bars when I tried to move on to the next cage as if saying "moreeeee!!!" haha. You might be better off with a girl though, to re-bond Kenny to. But stay away from Candy unless you're prepared for a challenge, she has been biting some of the volunteers (including me, last month). But I think she just gets really hungry and aggressive seeing all the other rabbits being fed (she's about 9th in line to be fed/cleaned usually).

Okay, well we're going to speak to grandad today and if he wants her back then he can have her...only thing is the cage is REALLY small it has a wire floor even though it's on the grass and it's metal so it's really hot..plus she couldn't stand up in it...so if she does go back the cage would have to change.

You can just ignore my last post...as I know if we give Penny back to him then we'll buy a new cage for her.

I had just wanted my Penny back as she like our 14 year old cats is one of the last things from my past before my parents got divorced, my depression, when I had plenty of great friends and when we lived as a family in our old house and we were all so happy...it's selfish of me to keep her from Grandad because she reminds me of when times were better and happier.
I suppose I still have our cats Jessie and Barney...we adopted them from the SPCA when I was just over a year old so they really are something I could never give away even though my 'dad' wanted to give them away after the divorce.

Wires on the floor is actually a good idea for rabbits, since they dig and escape.. as long as a good part of the cage is a wooden floor (so she isn't forced to sit on the wires). Their feet aren't as senstive as the guinea pigs. If the cage was to stay in one place you could alternatively dig into the ground and install a predator proof fence. These extend under the soil part-way to stop anything digging its way under. But I think the option to move the cage onto fresh grass is much better. Check out this care sheet for more info- https://www.spca.org.nz/files/documents/AnimalCare/Rabbits/Rabbit-Care-Handout.pdf

As for the cage, maybe you could help your grand-dad with that one? If you search for 'chicken coop' in trademe, there are heaps of really roomy well built hutches (just remove the perches), I got a nice roomy one which would be suitable for two rabbits (but I use for my guinea's outdoor time) for $150. Might need a trailer to move it though, or you could spend a bit more and buy one brand new (they come flat-packed in a diy kit).

You can just ignore my last post...as I know if we give Penny back to him then we'll buy a new cage for her.

I had just wanted my Penny back as she like our 14 year old cats is one of the last things from my past before my parents got divorced, my depression, when I had plenty of great friends and when we lived as a family in our old house and we were all so happy...it's selfish of me to keep her from Grandad because she reminds me of when times were better and happier.
I suppose I still have our cats Jessie and Barney...we adopted them from the SPCA when I was just over a year old so they really are something I could never give away even though my 'dad' wanted to give them away after the divorce.

Sorry didn't see your post as I was busy replying xD Yeah, I understand :( It's nice to keep memories of times when things were better than they are now. But just think of it this way~ you have the power to give someone else's life meaning, give them a reason to get up in the morning, and to give them a friend that was there through cancer. It sounds like Penny transformed your granddad's life in a way nothing else could have. So if you're sad about not keeping her, just think about the fact that your actions could significantly improve the life of someone else, and feel good that it's the right thing to do, and that you have made your granddad really happy (if he wants her back). And you can always visit her, or take her back at a later time if it doesn't work out :)

Edit: Also, he might not want her back specifically, he might just be happy to have a pet to talk to, even if it's not Penny.

We talked to him...while he didn't really jump at the idea he did say,"Oh, then I'd have to get back into the garden".

So we're gonna put up the dog Kennel/run we brought last year, it has wire on the top and sides but not on the bottom...though on grandads lawn there is volcanic rock under the soil then the run has a house at the end.
The size is Height - 103cm, width - 205cm and length 180cm so around 39.7 sq ft not including the house area.

My only worry is if Kenny gets out. He is gone. We're not gonna separate them as Penny really does enjoy having Kenny around but If Kenny gets out...I'd never see him again and we wouldn't be able to catch him as he HATES being held and his fear of cats would drive him away from nana's...then there are dogs near nanas and I just don't want to think about it. That's my main worry.

Could you dig a trench, fill it with cement, then put the wire in the cement? This is two positives, he can't burrow under and predators can't burrow under or bend the wire.

It's outside so the concert would get wet and grandad likes to see them on the grass...plus Nana would complain and complain about putting cement in her backyard *shes one of those people you can never please...before she said I never send any time with Penny and said I was horrible for that so I brought my girl home and spend hours a day with her and she says, "Oh well you didn't have to take her she was fine here"..so yesterday when we said we're gonna bring her back she said, "Oh no. Theres no reason for Grandad to need her back"...after her being the one telling us she's worried about him not going out in the garden.*

It's more of him getting out when Grandad opens the door to lean in and feed them ect.

ETA: I'll just have to find some way to put a fence near the door so he can't run out straight away..though Grandad couldn't walk into the cage as his back isn't good for it so the food would have to go at the front but I'm sure if need be i'll work something out. I just don't want to have to part again with my rabbits after forming such a bond with them so quickly. But I know I have to.

Last edited:
Could you have two door ways? One doorway for your grandfather to enter, close that door. Then enter the cage? So if Kenny does sneak past, he is stuck in the entrance area.

I understand how worried about it all you must be - I would be agonising over every detail myself! But it is a wonderful gift you're giving your grandad. And try not to take any notice of your nana- I'm sure there's someone like that in every family. My best friend's mum is like that! She has just learned to brush off the negative comments and try to appease her where possible... and spend more time with her dad! Just leave the negotiating up to your mum- she must've learned a few tricks to getting your nana onside :)

Okay so, you can try to ease your concern by making everything as safe as possible for the bunny pair (with our help!). I like the idea of the trenches (in terms of making the run predator proof)- but instead of concrete, could you lower the run into the trenches and then refill it with soil? So that part of the run is underground. This should stop any digging into or out of the cage. This picture demonstrates the idea- https://patsknittingandquilting.com/2013/images/april/ditch.jpg.The grass will then regrow around the cage.

What size are the holes in your mesh run? Baby mice can squeeze through some pretty small holes, so if the mesh size is 0.5cm x 0.5cm this will exclude mice and everything larger. This is the mesh size used at the Zeelandia predator proof enclosure in Wellington (so if the Department of Conservation have felt that mesh size is good enough to protect our endangered species, it should be okay for your buns :) ). Here's a link to the wiki page on the Zeelandia reserve https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zealandia_(wildlife_sanctuary). Check out the photos under 'Pest-Exclusion Fence'. If your mesh size is slightly bigger than that, you could make a judgement as to how quickly you think your grandad would notice baby mice in the cage and remove them (if they even got in, which is probably not likely). If the mesh size is quite a bit bigger than that, you could purchase aviary mesh from a garden supply centre like Mitre 10 and use a similar technique as 'baby-proofing' C&C cages for guinea pigs to reduce the mesh size.

Next- Is your Penny vaccinated against Calici Virus? Kenny should be, coming from the SPCA (but a quick phone call to check couldn't hurt). This can be caught from wild rabbits that approach your buns while they're in their cage, and is usually fatal. But a quick trip to the vet for a shot should eliminate this possibility :)

Finally- Will there be enough shade in the run during the summer? You could consider attaching a type of cloth to the top of the run to give them some shelter while they're out of their house.

That's everything I could think of! I hope some of my ideas helped :) And try to feel good about this- you're being incredibly generous and loving to give away your pets to make your grandad happy :) And you won't have to live with the guilt of feeling like you took away a pet your granddad was bonded to.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.