Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Rabbits My old girl Penny is home!!

Thank you all. :)

Well, I put my trust in her and left her doors open last night..I woke up to.....a Penny hopping around in her cage and then flopping down and having a little nap...I think she's scared of the tiled floor. Oh well! I'm gonna shut the doors for while I'm at school.

Does anyone have any ideas on what breed/s she is?

[GuineaPigCages.com] My old girl Penny is home!![GuineaPigCages.com] My old girl Penny is home!![GuineaPigCages.com] My old girl Penny is home!!

I love your cage! When I get my rabbit, I'm copying this lol. How many grids or packs of grids did it take? And is it a 3X5X2?

I love your cage! When I get my rabbit, I'm copying this lol. How many grids or packs of grids did it take? And is it a 3X5X2?

It is a 4x5x2....she now has the free range of my room as well as her cage...I just leave the doors open. She has learnt that her cage is a safe place and is her main home.

Though..last night she kept on coming up on my bed and digging...so when she did it for the third time at 2am...I picked her up, put her on my lap and gave her a cuddle/pat...she didn't hop up after that!

I can't say how many grids it took as I also used a table, and storage shelving..to make it strong enough as I can sit inside the pigs cage ontop.
[GuineaPigCages.com] My old girl Penny is home!!

She looks like a flemish giant cross to me! :)

@RodentCuddles I want to do the same setup! Guinea cage on top and rabbit underneath! I love it. so cute. Is a 3X5X3 enough space for one rabbit, plus free roam around my room? My room is 10 ft X 13ft, not that big but big enough? Also if the dogs are outside or In their crates the bunny'd have free roam of the house with supervision.

@RodentCuddles I want to do the same setup! Guinea cage on top and rabbit underneath! I love it. so cute. Is a 3X5X3 enough space for one rabbit, plus free roam around my room? My room is 10 ft X 13ft, not that big but big enough? Also if the dogs are outside or In their crates the bunny'd have free roam of the house with supervision.

Honestly, don't ask me when It comes to rabbit care...I'm just re-teaching myself everything! You're best bet would be to PM one of the three members I linked on the first page. :)

Does 2.73kg sound about right for her? I had a really had time reading the weight...so it's not perfect but near about.
It went up to 2.9 down to 2.6...so I when she was still I just took this weight.

After spending a couple of hours we've adopted a de-sexed male friend for Penny.

We went out to Butterfly Creek which is only a five min drive from the SPCA, so we also went to the SPCA...we had a chat about rabbit care and mostly social life....we asked a lot of questions..I feel sorry for the poor lady who was helping us!
We looked at and talked about a few rabbits, there was one boy who had a great personality but his hair was a bit too long for us...as I don't want hair everywhere.

We then found the perfect boy.
He had been there for just 2 weeks, after being found on the streets.
He is just a bit bigger then Penny but we're hoping that's fine, he has an amazing personality and was one of the best boys at being litter trained.

Will post pictures of him, Hopefully after 2 weeks - 2 months they'll bond and be able to live together.

My brother doesn't like him because he's not just one main colour...mum and I both think that's what makes him him..his amazing colours, personality and manners.

ETA: here is him on the SPCA website: spca.org.nz/Adoption/details.asp?dID=2048
My name is Hartley...So maybe Harley was just meant to be Penny's buddy..His name is so alike to mine!

Last edited:
Don't feel bad about having a lot of pets! i have a lot too! XD. They really do help in hard times to have there for you. Although i dont have quit as much as you, i still have 10 animals. XD I dont include my fish steve.. seeing as when i stayed at my dads for awhile i brought him with me... he just kinda stays at my dads know... in fact.. my dad has grown quit attached to steve... he says.. he watches TV with him... wired.. lol

We weren't planning to adopt her a friend but after all the talking about rabbit social life and knowing how important it is for guinea pigs...we just want the best for her and I can't be home all the time...I just want my Pen Pen to be happy.

It looks like it might all be okay...at first Penny would attack him through the grids..but now they're happy to eat side by side *grids separating them* and he loves to follow her..which she doesn't seem to mind! Will be putting them into the cage the other one was in tonight...and I'll see how that goes...maybe in a couple of days we'll put them together in neutral territory and see how it goes... we're prepared to wait a couple months for them to start bonding!

And his name is now Kenny...which means Handsome!
Penny and Kenny!

@RodentCuddles he's beautiful! Is only his 1 eye blue? Because that's awesome! And I love the name Kenny with Penny!

I'm pretty sure he just has one blue eye and the other one is a dark brown colour. :)

Mum and I are just thinking that surely if you lost him, it's not like a PEW rabbit...with him you'd know if you saw a found add or something!
But it's nice to know that what ever his past was he will be cared and loved for here.

Some pictures of them eating side by side this morning...does anyone know if this is a good sign?

[GuineaPigCages.com] My old girl Penny is home!![GuineaPigCages.com] My old girl Penny is home!!

I can't help with rabbit care, sadly when I had one I was very misinformed :(, but I just wanted to say that Penny and Kenny are gorgeous rabbits! (Love the names too!)

Some pictures of them eating side by side this morning...does anyone know if this is a good sign?

View attachment 51306View attachment 51307

Oh my gosh! I totally cleaned your new bun's poop & cage over the weekend when I was at the spca hehe you're welcome! :p It's a great sign they're choosing to be near each other through the grids, it's the first sign they're starting to bond. Just follow the advice you were given about bonding and they should be happy together. Rabbits are much more easily bonded than guineas in my experience, as long as you have enough patience and follow the right advice. You made the right choice too- the bonded rabbits always look so much happier, they groom each other and will even both cram into the same litter tray for a nap! ^^

Edit: I forgot to mention, don't worry too much about her weight, as long as it doesn't decline it's fine. Since she could be a mix of any number of breeds it's not so clear cut what is a 'good' weight for her to be at. Pure flemish giants can get heavier than 5kg! While pure dwarf bunnies might never get much heavier than 1.5kg. So the only thing to watch out for is a consistent decline in weight :)

Haha, we went to the SPCA on Sunday...His cage's floor was so spotless with-out any poohs compared to the rabbits by him!
I sat down with him and the PEW babies next door were so adorable...they were watching us while their mummy just kept sleeping, imagine caring for 3 energetic little bouncing balls of fluff! Can't blame her for being tired!

The other guy we really like was Mickey *we also liked Nudge but he was a bit smaller*...we held him first...my little brother was wearing a black fleece jumper that turned grey after like 5 seconds of patting Mickey! He is an gorgeous boy and so very soft...but we stuck to a rabbit with a bit shorter hair.

We also LOVED the big black and sliver spotted (?) boy at the end of the row in the cat area...he is so HUGE...we could really see my Grandad having him..as he wouldn't be so easy to miss!
There are so many rabbits there...It just reminded me of our house..For the first time in a couple of months I've had to tell someone we can't take in their two girl piggies...I told them that I recommend to surrender their girls to the SPCA....but have just seen they've gone up on trademe. Oh well, nice to see people re-homing pigs their selves!

Yeah animals with long hair can be so much work! I definitely couldn't resist pats with Mickey on Saturday when I was there, the babies weren't in the rabbitry then so they must've moved over from rabbit ward Saturday afternoon or Sunday morning. Babies always fly out though so they'll be fine.

And yes that bunny is one of the biggest rabbits I've ever seen. You could almost let him free range on the lawn cause I reckon he'd fight off all the cats and probably most of the dogs too xD But imagine trying to pick him up for cuddles, it would be impossible! Yeah I'm sure they'll work it out, you can only take in so many, and the unwanted guinea pigs did come through the spca before you started up. Did you see the two guineas in the rabbit area on sunday? I couldn't resist pats with them either xD (Are you starting to figure out why I go to the spca... pats with cute animals all the way! haha).

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.