Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior My new guy and behavior questions

Tangled

Cavy Slave
[GuineaPigCages.com] My new guy and behavior questions

^ A pigture of the new guy, my first piggy.

I found him on craigslist a couple of weeks ago, and his former owner beat around the bush so much, I eventually gave up and chalked it up to being some sort of weird scam and tried to move on to the next needy piggy. Finally, after days had gone by of no communication, she explained she was having a hard time letting him go and set up a meet time. The whole situation was pretty weird, but from her messages, she sounded like a devoted owner who had to give up her pet due to unfortunate circumstances.

So my boyfriend and I finally brought him home and I've already fallen in love with him. In the three days we've had him, he's already been spoiled rotten with a much bigger cage, a variety of hideouts; etc.

I'm trying to do everything I can to give him a better life, but my issue is I don't think his 'loving' former owner ever handled him. He's not unhealthy, he just seems like he was sort of neglected. His nails were over an inch long and curled under, and he seems really skinny to me.
He really hates it when my boyfriend and I try to handle him; He makes angry gnashing teeth noises when we pet him, pick him up, or put anything in his cage (like food). We affectionately named him Worf, since his personality seems a little, well... Klingon.

Worf seems like he's pretty mature. I don't know how to tell age, but I don't think he's a younger guy. If he was never handled, is it too late and he'll never stop being so agitated? Or does he need more time? I know it is way too soon for him to be comfortable with us, but I am surprised at how upset he seems to be all the time.
Can that change with time as he settles in? Or is there a chance he will always be like this?

Aww...so cute! Don't let @spy9doc find out where you live though, she loves abbys even more than me and may pignap him if she gets the chance ;)

It takes a few days for a guinea pig to even calm down in a new environment. Moves are stressful for them and being prey animals, they assume anyone unfamiliar is a predator. Hold him as much as you can and offer him snacks while he's in your lap. Don't cast a shadow over him when you go to pick him up. Talk gently to him and don't give him a reason to be afraid of you. You'll see progress in baby steps but once he knows he can trust you, he'll start coming around.

Thanks, Pinky... that is encouraging. I've sort of been afraid that handling him may be the worst thing I could do, but it's nice to hear that should help eventually. I don't mind him taking a while to relax, I'm just... a new, possibly overly concerned piggy owner, and I don't want to stress him out further or do something to hurt him.

I just love that name! Does he respond to the usually guinea pig stimuli like a fridge door opening or veggie packages rattling? Both Borat and Amy were a bit shy when I first brought them home, but both must have been fed from the fridge as those sounds get them to wheeking and they have no fear if I have a bag in the cage when giving them food.

If it's just a case of not being handled, hopefully Worf will learn that you're a friend and will discover the nice sensations that human hands can produce. We're still going through that with Amy, although she was supposedly handled a lot before we got her (she's a Craiglist piggy too and that's what the former owner told us).

Good luck with winning little Worf over! He's quite a handsome guy.

Mufasa, Worf doesn't respond to any of that. He doesn't make happy noises very often; I have never heard him wheek. :( He also doesn't really respond to the rattling of his pellet bag or when I give him hay. He just hunkers down under something and makes his angry teeth clicking noise.

We made him a playpen in our kitchen, and he has made little happy noises running around, but then he gets aggressive when I try to pick him up to take him home to his pen.
The other happy noise he made was we were sitting on the bed with him and both loving on him, and he eventually started to purr. That was really nice, but it only happened once.

ETA: Thank you for the complimets on him. I think he's awesome... I just wish he wasn't so unhappy! :(

My advise is just to take your time. Spend time each night sitting next to his cage, talking to him, resting your hand in his cage and maybe petting him if he'll let you. Feed him treats through the bars so he begins to associate you sitting next to the cage and talking to him with good food & treats. It will take time but its worth it in the end.
I've been working really hard on getting my girls to let me scratch their heads without getting scared. :) It's great everytime they let me do it!

We made him a playpen in our kitchen, and he has made little happy noises running around, but then he gets aggressive when I try to pick him up to take him home to his pen.
The other happy noise he made was we were sitting on the bed with him and both loving on him, and he eventually started to purr. That was really nice, but it only happened once.
Well, at least that's cause for hope! You've made him happy a couple of times already, so hopefully he'll realize he's got a great life now and enjoy it more and more.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.