Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Dominance My new Female guinea pig and introductions.

MissGracie

Cavy Slave
Hi. I know there was a thread earlier about someone needing help with a pair of their female guinea pigs fighting. I am having the same problem. Although my guinea pigs are from different litters. I JUST got my new guinea pig and I know I am suppose to wait till I put them into the same cage.

Today I decided to clean both of their cages(Temporary cages till i make my C&C) I put them both on my bed and they were perfectly fine with each other they did not fight or chatter teeth, nothing. I brought some lettuce and Carrots for both of them. After that they began to fight and teeth chatter/squeal. My first guinea pig would ignore her pile of veggies and go after my new piggies pile.

I read that I was suppose to put them into separate rooms but I cannot do that due to the lack of space I have. Some people say I should introduce them little by little. They say their fighting will end when they figure out which of them is the dominate one. I am not too sure what I am really suppose to do. I Placed their cages next to each other hoping they can perhaps bond or get use to each other that way. I was planning on giving them both floor time about 10-15 together than abit longer by themselves. Is this a good Idea? What are your opinions? [GuineaPigCages.com] My new Female guinea pig and introductions.

This is how I am temporarily placing their cages. Is this alright? I will be building their C&C Cage around the first week of June. I hope they will eventually get along.

maybe put them in the same cage but put a divider in between them ??

I was thinking the same. I was planning on doing that when I build my C&C cage. But I was hoping eventually I would be able to put them together.

The separate room people mentioned is used for quarantine to prevent the spread of airborne illness but since you already exposed them to each other, it defeats the purpose of quarantine.

DO NOT introduce them little by little. Every time you put them together and separate them, it creates more stress for them because every time they are put together, they have to start the dominance behavior over again.

Once you have a 2X4 C&C cage or larger, introduce them ONE TIME on neutral territory. Do not separate even if it looks like they aren't getting along, unless there is blood shed. Introductions take time, sometimes several hours. They need to determine who is in charge and they cannot do that if they are continuously separated.

Thank you so much. This will help me alot!

Ditto what @CavyMama said.
To start, you could give them a little more of a chance to see each other before being put together. The ramp and upper level of the green cage could be put on the other side, or both could be just switched places, so the pigs can see one another through the bars and get to sniff each other a bit before meeting. Sometimes this helps? At least with the lonliness for the time being.

You should read Guinea Pigs Social Life -- the introductions section is about halfway down.

The reason you don't put them together right away is to keep a new pig from bringing diseases to your old pig and costing you an arm and leg in vet bills. If you got that new pig from a vet store, keep a very close eye on both of them for any signs of illness since you've decided not to quarantine.

The separate room people mentioned is used for quarantine to prevent the spread of airborne illness but since you already exposed them to each other, it defeats the purpose of quarantine.

DO NOT introduce them little by little. Every time you put them together and separate them, it creates more stress for them because every time they are put together, they have to start the dominance behavior over again.

Once you have a 2X4 C&C cage or larger, introduce them ONE TIME on neutral territory. Do not separate even if it looks like they aren't getting along, unless there is blood shed. Introductions take time, sometimes several hours. They need to determine who is in charge and they cannot do that if they are continuously separated.

I also agree with CavyMama. You also need to add a hidey house for your pig in the left cage. If you dont have another you can use a box or a blanket. That probably isnt helping with the stress of the situation because guinea pigs are very timid animals and they need a place they can hide to feel secure.

If you got that new pig from a vet store, keep a very close eye on both of them for any signs of illness since you've decided not to quarantine.

I'm sorry BP but this just made me laugh. :) Trying to imagine if a vet store is a place to get a vet or a place where vets get supplies :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.