Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

My midnights story

midnightsnack

Cavy Gazer
I had a Guinea pig named midnight, I had her for 9 years and she was my first ever Guinea pig. She started exhibiting seizure like behavior that me day and like any pet owner I researched it and found a vet to take her to, both Google and the vet told me she wasn’t having seizures and that it was a skin issue so I bought her everything she needed in order to be treated. However they didn’t stop, they got more violent and eventually would last 5 minutes at a time with very little break in between. Then started the fluids she would poop out with her pellets and immediately I wanted to take her to the vet only to find out all the vets CLOSE at 4-4:30pm and there was absolutely no emergency vet within an 3 hour radius. Because of the false information I was given I had to just hold her in my arms for 3 hours while she slowly passed away with seizure after seizure all of this happening within 2 days. I’m posting this to tell all Guinea pig owners THEY DO HAVE SEIZURES AND CAN BE DEADLY. Please if you know or feel something more if happening with your pig don’t just go to the vet once, go until they believe you because maybe then I could of gave my midnight a better ending to her long lived life

My condolences on Midnight’s passing. Nine years old is a very long life for a guinea pig, so Midnight must have been well cared for to live so long.

Guinea pigs can go into seizures for skin issues if they have a severe skin mite infestation. The seizures can be severe enough to cause death. However, a mite infestation that bad is unusual. The skin would be very sore and the fur would be patchy. I highly doubt that was the case with Midnight. I would suspect Midnight’s seizures were age-related and that it was her time to go. Take care and find comfort in the good memories you have of your time with Midnight.