Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Injury My midnights story(seizures)

midnightsnack

Cavy Gazer
I had a Guinea pig named midnight, I had her for 9 years and she was my first ever Guinea pig. She started exhibiting seizure like behavior that me day and like any pet owner I researched it and found a vet to take her to, both Google and the vet told me she wasn’t having seizures and that it was a skin issue so I bought her everything she needed in order to be treated. However they didn’t stop, they got more violent and eventually would last 5 minutes at a time with very little break in between. Then started the fluids she would poop out with her pellets and immediately I wanted to take her to the vet only to find out all the vets CLOSE at 4-4:30pm and there was absolutely no emergency vet within an 3 hour radius. Because of the false information I was given I had to just hold her in my arms for 3 hours while she slowly passed away with seizure after seizure all of this happening within 2 days. I’m posting this to tell all Guinea pig owners THEY DO HAVE SEIZURES AND CAN BE DEADLY. Please if you know or feel something more if happening with your pig don’t just go to the vet once, go until they believe you because maybe then I could of gave my midnight a better ending to her long lived life

I had a Guinea pig named midnight, I had her for 9 years and she was my first ever Guinea pig. She started exhibiting seizure like behavior that me day and like any pet owner I researched it and found a vet to take her to, both Google and the vet told me she wasn’t having seizures and that it was a skin issue so I bought her everything she needed in order to be treated. However they didn’t stop, they got more violent and eventually would last 5 minutes at a time with very little break in between. Then started the fluids she would poop out with her pellets and immediately I wanted to take her to the vet only to find out all the vets CLOSE at 4-4:30pm and there was absolutely no emergency vet within an 3 hour radius. Because of the false information I was given I had to just hold her in my arms for 3 hours while she slowly passed away with seizure after seizure all of this happening within 2 days. I’m posting this to tell all Guinea pig owners THEY DO HAVE SEIZURES AND CAN BE DEADLY. Please if you know or feel something more if happening with your pig don’t just go to the vet once, go until they believe you because maybe then I could of gave my midnight a better ending to her long lived life
my guniea pig gazpacho also had seizure and I had just got her and I maybe have taken her to the vet at least 100 times cause she had so many issues and I always woke up scared cause of a seizure or she was in a fight with coco (our other guinea pig) and I kept trying to help her she even had her our mansion and yet after five months I come home from work and she couldn't walk and she kept pooping her self and it was like she was paralyzed and I had to go to the store and I come back and she was at the bottom of her cage and coco kept trying to protect her so I had to separate him from her and ends up she died and I just cant forget that my guinea pig that acted like a human died and pet smart lied saying she was a baby but she was actually 6 years old

I had a guinea pig with seizures before! His name was Little Bear. I firmly believe he had seizures from STRESS! He and his brother were abandoned in a fried chicken box. A month after I took him and his brother in from the person who found them, I had to euthanize his brother. That left him all alone, even tho I put him next to my other pigs while I waited for an adoption appointment at the local rescue. He started to have random seizures every couple of days after losing his brother. I don't remember if he had any triggers, I remember watching him run around his cage and then he'd collapse, have a seizure for several seconds, and then go back to normal.

I took him to our vet (at the time) to make sure he was healthy before bonding him at the rescue, and honestly I forgot what they said lol...

After he bonded with his new brother, the seizures stopped, 100%. He only had these seizures for about a month, from the time his brother was euthanized in November, up to just before Christmas when he bonded with the new brother.

It was 100% NOT a skin issue, even tho the net will tell you that they can't have seizures or it is rare. It DOES happen!