Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pet Stores My local feed store stopped selling. Yea !

Judypie

Cavy Slave
Hi, I don't know if anyone remembers but a while ago I did post about an experience I had at my local feed store. I guess I wasn't supposed to mention emails or names or what ever the reason but my post was removed.
I had seen guinea pigs being sold and I didn't like the way they were being kept. I got several comments on how to report them.
I did report and yesterday I went in to this store and SURPRISE! All the baby chickens, the rabbits, and the Guinea pigs that I felt so bad for are gone. This feed store in my town does not sell them any more at all.
Well I am just grateful I don't have to go there and ever see it again.
Regardless I just feel good.. but somewhere in my head I am wondering what they did with the animals.... Obviously they were doing something wrong for real or they would still have them.
No matter ,, If I helped at all well ,, then I did.

Judypie

Cavy Slave
Well I went there again yesterday. I saw no animals but they were doing inventory. I go to the section to buy my pellets and hay but they are all out of it. I asked a guy if they had any in the back and he asked me how many guinea pigs I had. I told him my female just had a litter but I was keeping them all so I had 5. He asked me to leave my information and because he would sell any for me. ANGRY as I was, I asked him anyways how much he would give me for them even tho I would NEVER. He says $8.00 each ! What? I am shocked !
I thought about it a long time. Who in the heck could make money on breeding Guinea pigs? I am a loving owner and I would have to say I spend about $20.00 a month on each pig, Pellets, Hay, fresh Veggies, and other supplies not to mention VET visits. So my question is this.. Are they feeding them garbage? I have heard how they keep them in tiny cages and breed them over and over, but what about the mass amounts of poop? I just cant see it being worth it.... even if it was worth it its cruel !
This is just another reason not to buy from pet stores or breeders. It all makes sense to me now and why my 2 females that I purchased (before I found this site) were so afraid of me, because if they are trying to make a profit then they are doing the barest minimum to keep them alive thus making them unhealthy and not to mention WILD - sadly never held by people. Sorry I am venting...

Deb's4Pigs

Cavy Slave
People that sell animals to stores don't care about their welfare and don't even give them the bare minimum. It's just to make money and to do that they have to breed many animals.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.