Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Liners My Litter Box Liners-- Normal?

Zuidy

Cavy Slave
Hey everyone!

Well, recently I made my Guinea Pigs some liners for their litter boxes. I layered like this:

Fleece

U-Haul padding

U-Haul padding

Fleece

__

Well, when I went to shake off their liners, I noticed that the liners were somewhat wet feeling, even on top a bit. Is this normal? I thought liquid was supposed to drain to the bottom? It even dripped a bit off of the liner onto the ground.

Also, I shake their liners when necessary. But, in just 1 day, my girls poo a lot in their litter boxes. So, when I shake it off, I see that some of the poo is stuck to the fleece on top?

How should I go about these problems. Are they normal?

Thanks!

How long was the liner in the litter box? When I scoop poops every day, I run my hands over the fleece topper to make sure it doesn't feel wet. My U Haul pads are in an envelope I made from an old sheet with fleece on top. Maybe you just need to change it more often? And why did you put fleece on the bottom? Is it reversible? Just curious...

How much does the poo stick to the fleece? It is wet when it comes out (Eww, the things we discuss here, LOL) so it does stick to the fleece a little bit, but not so much that I have to scrape it off, or anything. Maybe it was very "fresh" and hadn't dried a little? If the poo is too wet, you may have a problem starting...

BTW-I buy the non-latex exam gloves, 100 per box, from Sams Club, and I wear the gloves whenever I do any poo clean-up. Dogs, cats, bunnies, piggies....

How long was the liner in the litter box? When I scoop poops every day, I run my hands over the fleece topper to make sure it doesn't feel wet. My U Haul pads are in an envelope I made from an old sheet with fleece on top. Maybe you just need to change it more often? And why did you put fleece on the bottom? Is it reversible? Just curious...

How much does the poo stick to the fleece? It is wet when it comes out (Eww, the things we discuss here, LOL) so it does stick to the fleece a little bit, but not so much that I have to scrape it off, or anything. Maybe it was very "fresh" and hadn't dried a little? If the poo is too wet, you may have a problem starting...

BTW-I buy the non-latex exam gloves, 100 per box, from Sams Club, and I wear the gloves whenever I do any poo clean-up. Dogs, cats, bunnies, piggies....

NVM about the poo thing. I suppose I was overreacting a bit, or maybe hallucinating, but it actually isn't really poo stuck to it. I dunno what I was thinking.

The poo was wet, but most likely because it was fresh. No diarrhea or anything, but I will keep an eye out.

I put fleece on the bottom because the U-Haul pad may shred in the washer if it doesn't have fleece surrounding it. And yes, it works as reversible. (well, I would imagine at least)

Also, about the wetness: The liners were in since Monday. I want to create another set and change liners every Wednesday. I may be able to debunk the excessive wetness. I have to go outside and feel the ground, because if the ground is wet, that may be the cause of my problem. I dropped the liner when shaking it off, and I felt it when I was back inside. So, if the ground was wet, that may be our problem.

I also noticed my kichen area gets really wet, but I think some of it is the water bottle. I bought a 32 oz bottle, and I think the nozzle is too big for their mouths, and it drips while they're drinking. I want to make some pads for under it till I get smaller bottles.

I also noticed my kichen area gets really wet, but I think some of it is the water bottle. I bought a 32 oz bottle, and I think the nozzle is too big for their mouths, and it drips while they're drinking. I want to make some pads for under it till I get smaller bottles.

I just bought bricks to put underneath their water bottles- it absorbs the water (supposedly), it gives them a step up to reach it easier and it should file down their front nails at least. I put the bricks in the cages literally 40 min ago so I'm not sure how well it's working yet but it's worth a shot I think... and probably cheaper/easier than pads...

Did you wash and dry the fleece 4 times before using it? If you didn't, this is probably the reason why the fleece isn't wicking the moisture down into the Uhaul pads. My kitchen area gets the wettest and dirtiest but is still fairly clean after a few days.

Tidy pads and kitchen liners are very much loved by me. Otherwise I'd have to do cage cleanings every 4 days instead of 7 :weepy:

Tidy pads and kitchen liners are very much loved by me. Otherwise I'd have to do cage cleanings every 4 days instead of 7 :weepy:

What do you use for "tidy pads" and "kitchen liners"?

What do you use for "tidy pads" and "kitchen liners"?

They're fleece liners of varying size. I have 2x1 sized ones and 11" squares. I get them off Etsy.

My kitchen just gets wet super quick because the girls dribble while drinking, and having 4 girls in a 1ft by 3ft kitchen most of the day chowing on hay means most of the pee goes in there. The main cage is good for a week to 10 days, but the kitchen needs to be changed every 4 days.

Did you wash and dry the fleece 4 times before using it? If you didn't, this is probably the reason why the fleece isn't wicking the moisture down into the Uhaul pads. My kitchen area gets the wettest and dirtiest but is still fairly clean after a few days.

Everything was prepared correctly, yes. Washed and dried 4 times, perhaps even more because I couldn't remember if I had washed it already....... :D

I checked the ground last night, and it wasn't wet...... Hrm..... Oh well. DEBUNK: It wasn't due to the ground being wet. My girls must have had to really pee!

Tomorrow is cage cleaning day, so lemme see if they get wet super wet again in just a few days. I doubt they will-- Perhaps my girls were just SUPER excited to get their new liners in! I will keep an eye out, though. Regardless, I am going to have so much extra material that I can make more sets of liners for their boxes so in the case that this does happen, I will be all set.

:)

i want to the kitchen area idea what would be the best way to do so?
and would the kitchen also work as the litter box?
My husband doesnt like the idea, I love it think it would make everything much easier
got to do some convincing

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.