Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Water My guinea pigs don't drink water

BugsytheGuinea

Cavy Slave
Title explains it, I have tried putting water in bowls and they knock them over. I think they don't know how to use the water bottle, I have even tried to put the end into their mouths but they don't get the idea. The bottle defenitely works and I am wondering if anyone has any tips, because I don't think they have gotten any water for the past couple of days. Not even squeaky knows how to and she was living with her old family. I filled up their water botlle up on Tuesday and it hasn't gone down. Before then I was using a small bowl but it would end up overturned the next day so we bought a water bottle. PLEASE HELP ME!

Zuidy

Cavy Slave
Until they learn how to use the bottle-- and I have a few tips-- you can be watering down their Veggies a bit so they can get enough water.

Tips:

1: Get some water to come out of the tip, and make sure your Pigs see this. Then rub that water all over the nozzle. The next time your pigs try, they may inadvertently get water into their mouths and learn

2: I really don't think a bowl is necessary. If they are thirsty, then they will try to find water. Once they understand the concept of the bottle it will be easy, but until then, make sure you water down their Veggies for them.

3: During lap time get out a bottle instead of treats and let them mess with the nozzle.

__

Good luck!

BugsytheGuinea

Cavy Slave
Thanks, I will try those things and lets hope they work.

sdpiggylvr

Cavy Slave
I would suggest leaving the bottle up as their water source. I would think the consistency would be better. Try this: Have your guinea pigs stand by the nozzle. Tap on the opening to get some water on your fingertip, then let them drink the water off your finger. Eventually they should catch on.

BugsytheGuinea

Cavy Slave
One problem with that is that my guineas are hypo lil things and run around so when I put my hand in they run away but I will try that during lap time. Thanks for that though.

Haymonster

Cavy Slave
You can also try rubbing something they like on the nozzle - like carrot or maybe apple. Rub just enough so they can smell it. Then, when they go to lick the carrot or apple off the nozzle, they'll get water as well.

BrendaMarie

Cavy Slave
Snowy doesn't drink much from a bottle. When he's roaming our kitchen he drinks out of a bowl and I think he prefers that. I also make sure that every time I give him veggies they're wet down first. Someone suggested that and I think it helps since you can never give them too much water, especially when it's hot outside.

Cavia Appia

Cavy Slave
Hey, Bugsy,

I just got my little girl Thursday and I was worried that her water bottle wasn't working or something was wrong that she wasn't drinking out of it. Well, it turns out she just drinks very little at a time--a few drops, at most. The water level only goes down by maybe a quarter of an inch per day, if that. Maybe an eighth of an inch--and the bottle probably only holds between 6 and 8 fluid ounces. This is just how she is--she also gets lots of veggies and a bit of fruit. When she's eating lots of hay and pellets, that's primarily when she drinks. Otherwise, she'll go hours without a sip.

Hope that's a small comfort for you. Good luck with your piggie!

BugsytheGuinea

Cavy Slave
@BrendaMarie , in Australia it is winter, so my babies get moister off the grass when they are let outside (in an enclosure, of course) and with wetting the food, they lick the water off to get it

@Cavia Appia , I have two guinea pigs and the water doesn't go down but I still think the get water from dew.

@Haymonster , That is a good idea and I will try it today.

@spy9doc , My "kids" get lots of moist leafy veggies and I suspect get much of their water that way. I think the same so I think they are okay.

@ Everyone, These are good ideas so thanks for everything
I can really rely on everyone here :D

GuineaPigPerson

Cavy Slave
I would put veggies in a shallow bowl of water so they can play around and hopefully learn how to use a bowl. If they do put the tip of the bottle over or near the bowl. Cucumber and watermelon have a lot of water content! They are a handy treat in moderation if you want to give them some extra water.

BugsytheGuinea

Cavy Slave
Yes, I did use to do that but sometimes my guineas didn't know where the food was, even though it was hanging over the edge. Sometimes the would even be soaking from tipping over their bowls. Silly guineas lol!

jubespiggies

Cavy Slave
Personally, I think the main reason your piggies aren't drinking is because it's winter; just like my piggies, they didn't drink very frequently this winter. I'm assuming that you live in Aus, and this year's winter was quite cold, but they should start drinking in summer, or at least it would be easier to teach them to drink, seeing as they would want the water more.

BugsytheGuinea

Cavy Slave
Yeah , now they are drinking their water cause its getting warmer.

Zuidy

Cavy Slave
Yeah , now they are drinking their water cause its getting warmer.

Good. If you ever have any worries about it, go ahead and water their Veggies a bit just to be sure.

:)

Glad to hear they are drinking more.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
Please remember too that some pigs may not drink much at all, be it from a bottle or a bowl - especially if you are feeding plenty of fresh greens, they will get a lot of their water from their veggies and may not seem to drink much at all. It isn't all that uncommon, I have one boy who never seems to drink anything no matter the temperature outside, but he always eats all his veggies so I really don't worry too much.

iamsnape

Cavy Slave
Please remember too that some pigs may not drink much at all, be it from a bottle or a bowl - especially if you are feeding plenty of fresh greens, they will get a lot of their water from their veggies and may not seem to drink much at all. It isn't all that uncommon, I have one boy who never seems to drink anything no matter the temperature outside, but he always eats all his veggies so I really don't worry too much.

Could I ask a quick question? This is a topic I've been worried about so thankfully this thread was already here :) Noah drinks fine but Elmo doesn't at all...he was drinking from the bottle during his quarantine period but not now, from either water bottles. So I got him out and tried to teach him how to use the bottle, drink off my finger, etc - he wasn't having it. I give the pigs a carrot a day to share and some greens, although they usually ignore anything that isn't carrots and runner beans. Do you think he will be getting enough water from that to ignore his other sources? :s I've been getting really worried because I don't want him to be ill. Admittedly Noah eats more veg than him but that's cos Elmo's utterly tiny and Noah is a big fat chunk.

I thought you might be able to help me out because your advice always seems pretty solid! :)

Piggypogs

Cavy Slave
Cool [MENTION=20670]Zuidy[/MENTION] came out

My pigs guzzle their water year round

iamsnape

Cavy Slave
Little update - just seen Elmo have a massive long drink for the first time. What a relief!!! I think he'd been watching Noah use the bottle and had finally worked out hydration was his best option lol

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.