Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fighting My guinea pigs (chunks of hair) HELP ME PLEASE

GuineaPigs530

Cavy Slave
I'm crying right now, I ran to the guinea pigs because I heard really high squeaking and lilly want in the cornor as far back as she could go shaking really badly. I picked her up and comferted her down, BUT, When I picked her up there was chunck of fur. I can't separate them because I only have one of everything. Then, I heard a big noise from their cage, so I ran there again and there water bottle was almost across the room. Help? :eek:hmy:

Do you have extra grids to create a pen for her to stay in for the time being? Or even like a laundry basket? Obviously not for the long term but just so she has somewhere to stay without worrying about being attacked?

You can separate her for the night in a basket or the bathtub. Make a hidey out of a shoebox, give her a pile of hay, and give her very wet veggies so she'll get enough to drink.

How large is your cage? And how long have they been together/

And just so you'll know, you need as many water bottles, food dishes, hideys, etc., as you've got pigs, and one extra wouldn't hurt.

Did you mean a chunk of her fur was missing? Is there any blood or wound?

Cage size is important. If the cage is too small they may fight no matter what.

I didn't separate them, and now there doing okay. But when I grabbed her to comfort her, a chunk of hair came out. They were in a small cage, because I was cleaning out the other one which is huge.

IMHO perhaps you need to invest in a good size play pen when cage cleaning.

I find that floor time is a great time during cage cleaning day since it takes me about an hour to clean their cage, food bowl, hay bin, and the rest. They get their hour of floor time when I clean their cage, and we put veg out and hay at that time and have the area piggy proofed so they do not crawl under furniture etc....

I think the small cage they were in was probably to stressful for them and caused the issue if they do not have a problem in their cage normally. As someone said even the bath tub is a good place to put piggies and probably a lot bigger then the cage you are using when cleaning?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.