Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Aggression My guinea pigs are fighting..distressed, please help

HollyReese

Cavy Slave
I adopted two male piggies about a month ago. They are both about one year old and they were kept together in the same environment for some time before adoption. They got along very well when they were first introduced to their new home, but the past week they have been quarreling. One has seemed to be really bullying the other; teeth chattering, war dance, and then lunges at the submissive piggy and nips him. Thankfully, no blood has been shed, but the aggression seems very intense to me, and it's very difficult for me to watch because I love them both so much. I 'm not sure if this is still just a struggle for dominance, or a sign of something that's going to get worst. Should I separate them right away, or just see how it goes in the next few days? I've been supervising as much as possible, but I don't know what to do! Their cage is 3x7, I have one hutch, one water bottle, one hay rack, and one food bowl. Should I double everything? They don't seem to be fighting over food or water, so I wasn't sure. I cried today I was so distressed..advice would be o much appreciated.

First, read Guinea Pigs Social Life. It's got good information on pigs getting along.

Yes, you should have two of everything except maybe a hay rack -- that can be big enough for the two of them. Make sure all hideys have two entrances so that one pig can't be trapped. Feed them in separate ends of the cage so that food can't possibly be a bone of contention. Put several hideys in the cage -- shoe boxes with holes in both ends and the bottom cut out work very well.

Weigh them regularly, particularly the one who's being bullied, to make sure that he gets enough to eat. If he does, and there's no bloodshed, then leave them alone. They'll work it out. If you separate them, they'll just start the whole process all over again when you put them back together.

And relax. Things will calm down eventually.

Thank you, I wasn't sure if this is normal, I've never cared for guinea pigs before! And I want to make sure that they're happy and healthy. I'll give them some time to work it out, and I'll definite ly make sure I get another one of everything just to be sure. Thanks for the advice!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.