Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Won't Eat Veggies My guinea pig won't eat anything with vitamin C?

Honour

Cavy Slave
I got my guinea pig, Audrey yesterday. I've tried to get her to eat carrots.. she turns her nose up at them. She likes apples but they have to be given in moderation. I'm really trying to get her to eat peppers.. I'm trying her with red ones atm but she won't touch them.. she chews it and spits it back out at me.
I really don't want to have to give her vitamin c drops because I know they aren't very good for her and can make her water taste funny. What should I do? :S

She needs time to adjust. I brought one home Wednesday and she didn't touch her hay, pellets or water until yesterday. She nibbled on the veggies I gave her. Today is the first day she seems to have a bit of an appetite. They're prey animals so she's probably scared to death. She'll eat when she's ready. Put some food in there when you go to bed and she might nibble during the night.

No, she's eating fine.. she's eating all of her hay and food etc.. she's running around her cage and doesn't seem the slightest bit frightened. She just doesn't seem to take kindly to the things that she should be eating, I'm afraid :/

Give her time -- right now just put food in front of her hidey and let her come out and get it when you aren't there.

You may have to teach her to eat veggies. Start with just one vegetable, dice it very fine, and put it on her pellets. Do this a couple of times a day for about a week, then try her on a larger piece of it. If she eats it, then start feeding it in larger pieces, and start dicing and new vegetable. If she doesn't eat it, then keep on with the dicing for another week.

Another thing you can try, if she eats lettuce, is to cut a matchstick-sized piece of a veggie, roll it up in the lettuce, and hand-feed her.

Ah, good idea.. thank you for that:D
I've been feeding it to her in long, thin slices.. I'll be sure to try that
I'll do anything for her to eat :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.