Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior My guinea pig vibrates on my lap!?

KilloDill

Cavy Slave
I just got 2 guinea pigs about a week and a half ago and started picking them up on Saturday and one vibrates a little and the other one vibrates a when on my lap. I have to chase them to pick them up as I read this is how they get used to you. Is this wrong and does it stress them out? They do popcorn in their cage so I know they're happy.

The are vibrating because they are nervous. The more gentle handling they get the less nervous they will be.

Only one of my boys still vibrates (rumbles) when I'm holding him and it's especially when I pet him below a certain area on his back...like near his bum. I think he's telling me he doesn't like it. He's also the very dominant boy of our two and I think that may be part of it. He is very calm, sprawls out on my lap, and is ok with petting under chin, behind ears, etc. Connor, on the other hand, is our more submissive piggy and he's still skiddish when being held. He moves around alot (doesn't like to just "hang out" on your lap) but he rarely rumbles. Maybe part of his personality?

Rumbling, burring, or purring are different than vibrating.

Wow...I'd never heard of just vibrating. My piggies have not done that. Is it like shaking/shivering?

Wow...I'd never heard of just vibrating. My piggies have not done that. Is it like shaking/shivering?
Yes it's just vibrating without noise. He's like shivering on my lap.

I always thought it was nervousness because Borat used to do that when we first got him and would hold him during lap time. He did it for the first few days, but not anymore. He's not one to purr, either, although once in a while he'll make contented mumbling sounds while my husband pets him (our baby Mufasa used to do that, too).

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.