Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Water My guinea pig isn't drinking?

Guineapigpro

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Ok, so I put my guinea pig into new cages. The c&c cages actually. Before they didn't have c&c. And my guinea pigs are over three years old, so they know how to use water bottles. But, my more skid dish guinea pig, only wants to eat. He will eat and eat, but hasn't drank or almost 16 hrs. I show him where it is, but he just looks at it, does us nose up to it, and walks off somewhere. So, I'm not sure what to do... :/

Sas79

Cavy Slave
If it's a new water bottle type then put the old type in there to see if that helps. If not, get him to the vet fast!

Lishar

Cavy Slave
Have you been giving him more wet veggies than usual?
Wet veggies like cucumber have quiet a bit of water in them.

xanima

Cavy Slave
Wouldn´t worry about it as long as he is eating. However sometimes I had problems with the bottles that there was air in the metal thing and therefore no water could come out- that isn´t the case?

I recently exchanged my water bottles with bowls and I couldn´t even tell if any of them drank since then.
But they get lots of veggies, they pee as much as ever and they aren´t stupid. If they want water, they will find it. (and they probably do drink, just don´t hear it anymore and can´t see how if and how much water is missing (besides I am not home all day, I sleep- lots of time where I can´t watch them).

Guineapigpro

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Thank you for all your replies. He recently began drinking again, but I was a little panicked in the moment, after all night and half the day without water. I believe he was just adjusting to his new home, and like I said, he is more skiddish. I did feed him a half of a cucumber slice recently, which is his first time, but it's such a small amount, that it shouldn't be the problem. Thank you though and I hope this helps any other guinea pigs that may have the same problem.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.