Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick My Guinea Pig Is Hot To The Touch

Pinkmeyer15

Cavy Slave
Hi All,
When I picked up my guinea pig Rambo today, he feels warm to the touch. I don't know if this is feverish or what, but he is still acting normal. Still eating.. Still drinking. I may be just paranoid, one of our guinea pigs died early sunday morning. We only had him for 2 weeks. I just don't want Rambo to get sick to. Any ideas if this is normal or not? Thanks :D

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
How often do you pick your pigs up? Mine all feel warm when I pick them up but that's because pigs are warm - their average temp is between 101º and 103º so they will feel warm to the touch.

Is he warmer than what you would define as normal for him? If you aren't used to picking him up and don't know, I'd strongly suggest getting him to a vet, especially if you had another pig pass recently.

Do you know why the other pig died? If not, whether you think your other pigs are acting normally or not, I urge you to get them to the vet for a wellness check.

pigsmakemesmile

Cavy Slave
If your pig died recently....get this one to the vet asap. It's better to err on the side of safety.

Pinkmeyer15

Cavy Slave
Thanks, I think I was just feeling paranoid, We got a new guinea pig from Pet Smart because our Guinea pig died not even 2 weeks after getting him. The Emergency Vet says that Rocky was very underweight, and when I told her that that is the way he was when we got him, she said he was most likely sick when we got him :'(. It was a rough night the night rocky died. But I kept the two in separate cages. My new guinea pig feels the same way as Rambo. I think I am just over reacting. I ended up running him to the vet. The vet said he was fine. :/ Never can be too cautious though I guess.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
We got a new guinea pig from Pet Smart because our Guinea pig died not even 2 weeks after getting him.
Well, yeah, welcome to the ridiculously cruel world of back yard breeding and pet stores that sell animals like this as merchandise.

The emergency vet is right, the pet store pig you bought was very likely sick, as this replacement you've gotten for him is more likely than not sick as well.

I hope you have the replacement pig in quarantine, but if you don't and he's been exposed to Rambo, I really hope you have a competent exotics vet lined up, because the replacement pig, like Rocky, is probably sick and has quite possibly passed his illness onto Rambo too.

I hope it works out for you and your pigs, but in the future, please, please adopt a homeless pig instead of buying from these pet stores that couldn't care less what happens to the animals once they leave their doors.

Pinkmeyer15

Cavy Slave
It's actually weird how it worked out. I got Rocky and Rambo at the same time, from the same Pet Store, from the same cage. Rambo, is doing fine.

When I got Cheubaca, our replacement guinea pig I wanted to take them all home and put them in a better cage because they had 5 guinea pigs in a cage. Not big enough for 3 guinea pigs let alone 5. They also had another adult guinea pig in a different smaller cage, kind of like the ones they use for hamsters.

Anyways, yes, I have the guineas in different cages. I was just being a little paranoid. I really became attached to Rocky, even though we only had him for two weeks.

Unfortunately I don't think there is a good exotic pet vet near me. I took Rocky to the vet on Friday, the vet took his temp. and gave him some medicine for his 104.5 temp. Ignored the fact that I told him he wasn't eating and he wasn't himself. :( Kind of upset about that.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
I got Rocky and Rambo at the same time, from the same Pet Store, from the same cage. Rambo, is doing fine.
Although Rambo might seem to be doing quite well, please keep in mind that guinea pigs are prey animals that hide their symptoms until it may be too late. I strongly suggest you locate a competent veterinarian *before* you need one.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
You need to find a better cavy vet . There is a list at www.guinealynx.info

Submit your vet bills to Petstupid.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.