Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Puberty My guinea pig is getting his "junk"

olliethepig

Cavy Slave
Well he is getting his junk when will i have to start cleaning it? and what about his grease glads when will i need to clean them?

Usually guinea pigs clean themselves. It is good though to give a little at home-check-up every week though. Check all paws, teeth, eyes&nose area, and genital and anus region. If it is dirty, take a warm washcloth and clean him up :) You should be fine!

He shouldn't be at risk for impaction yet, but it's good to start cleaning early in life. Sometimes hay, hair, and bedding can get trapped up in there. For the grease gland, I clean whenever I feel it starting to get a bit gross. Virgin coconut oil works well to help remove gunk from the grease gland.

You don't necessarily need to clean his anal sac and penis sheath every week, but you do need to check them that often. All sorts of things can get caught up in there, and for his comfort and health, you need to clean them out when they do.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.